Wierd problem, mabe BIOS - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Wierd problem, mabe BIOS

OK, this is what has been happening.
I bought 512 mb's more of azen RAM to add on to my other 512 AZEN RAM. Ontop of that I bought a cicero (said Maxtor drive on the hd) 160 GB.
I hooked up the new hardrive IDE cables and power, installed windows and ran the comp. Ever since every ounce in a while I would get that so called blue screen of death saying hardware problems and alot of other stuff. I would have to restart the computer everytime I go to install something because just when the installation was about to finish of whatever program I am installing it would freeze. The installation freeze would only happen if the computer has been on for more the 5-10 minutes, ounce I restart and do the installation right away it would complete.
Also I cannot do Cntr+Alt+delete the screen of proccess manager would popup for about a second then sit in the tray withought letting me at it.
SO I reformatted and installed windows again today, but the exact same things are happening, I hit shutdown and when it was shutting down the same blue screen came up saying windows has been turned off to prevent damage to your computer probalbly a hardware error.
Now I'm pretty sure it is the hardrive becuase nothing wierd happens when I am using the 40 GB old one.
Now could this possibly be a Bios problem, or is it a HD hardware defect? And can you tell me how to update my BIOS, I have already reset my CMOS. I think my BIOS is award winning BIOS or something i'm going to go check.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

My bios says: Pheonix - award bios v6.00pg version VLA414E

Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

BUMP,
also I do not seem to get the blue screen of death anymore...
After I restart I can install whatever i want, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on it will freeze near the end of the program I am installing. I was installing service pack 2 and it froze half way through that. I am still not able to use ctrl+alt+delete (i can use it when i restart but not after 5-10 minutes), one time I knoticed when I had the manager open svchost was at 99-100 % CPU usage... I don't realy feel like taking my new hardrive back but with all these problems I don't think it is worth it. Most of the time of the computer being on 5-10 minutes it says it cannot detect any sound hardware so I can't play songs/movies withought a restart. Lots of thing like that.
It has been about 2 weeks since I asked this...
Thanks for the help in advanced.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Sounds like a major headache.

Your stats say 64 mobo, but a XP CPU. Which one?

What PSU are you using? I can't be sure, but it may be choking out due to lack of juice.

Oh, and Maxtor's do not have a good rep around these parts. Go with Seagate, if you can get it.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 09-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oh uh oops, I actualy have an AM 35 motherboard i'll change that. I have a 350 WATT psu.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Wait, I know what the problem is now... When my comp started up I did ctrl+Alt+delete and when things started to act stupid like usual one on my svchost.exe procceses were taking 99-100% of my CPU usage. Is this some kind of virus?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

possible, even probable. that process is pretty prone to viruses. with your reformat did you backup and restore any files, or visit any particular websites or chat on msn?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well, I had to keep ending the svchost process everytime it popped up when I was installing service pack 2... Ounce it was installed I restarted and it hasn't happened since...

Closed Thread