Wierd Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumaadJ

Baseband Member
I have a intel based motherboard with a celeron 2.0ghz/512mb DDR 333(256mbx2)/ Radeon 9600/ Maxtor 7200rmp HDD. I had my celeron overclocked to FSB 533 it was originally 400 (Northwood). My cpu temperature was 30 degrees C. after the overclock , so I figured it would run good for a while.

It ran cool for 2 days (29-30 degrees) and after those 2 days I wanted to clock it back to 400FSB to see if there was really a difference in speed.

I put it down some in bios and it shut off instead of restarting. I tried booting it up and it the monitor didnt come on and it gave no beeps. I tried resetting the cmos with the battery , and when I turned it back on it gave long continuous beeps. I figured this was memory and tried to move the sticks around , taking one out and putting another back in. I had a stick of corsair and a stick of mushkin, on my last attempt of alternating the sticks of ram, I took the mushkin stick out and put the corsair stick in its slot. I booted the computer up and I started smelling a burning smell coming from my motherboard(the case was open at this time.)

I shut off the computer and took the ram out and the stick was so hot it couldnt be held. I dropped it because I knew it was long gone. It had two burn marks on the stick of ram and on the slot in the motherboard it occupied.

Ive nevr seen this happen I want to know what caused it and what can be possibly salvaged.:(

im pretty sure you shorted your mobo, i dont know how tho....

I would unplug EVERYTHING from the mobo and look for burn marks/weird things.... Then CAREFULLY put items back in.. (if you can test over items ex. hdd) then put the stick that works back in.... Start that puppy up and see if she flys...

AT ANY SIGN OF SMOKE OR HIGH HEAT STOP!!!!

I am not garenteeing you hardware... this is ehat I would do....

REPLY BACK MAN

~Joe

Hahaha i laugh at that. That just sucks. I have no idea what i would do. Probably buy new motherboard or ram. But anyways that sucks and i feel ur pain.

Hahaha i laugh at that. That just sucks. I have no idea what i would do. Probably buy new motherboard or ram. But anyways that sucks and i feel ur pain.

That makes a positive mood now doesnt it...

I bet u im gonna help him out!!!

ilyushin, why do u always post where i do, lol!!

~Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom