Wierd Funky Voltages On Motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH-INCARNATE

In Runtime
hey guys, i got a prob.

heres the deal...

i got a ASUS p5n32-e sli mobo. now after i had it for bout 3 months the voltages on the motherboard started to drop a little day by bay. for instance the 3.3v on the mobo when i got it was 3.3v but has been losing volts, bout 0.02v every week. till the point it is now 3.17v. same for the +12v. rest of the voltages seem to be uneffected.

now at first i left it alone untill the pc refused to boot. and i bought another psu(600W, the previous one was 500W). then everything returned to normal. but then the same voltage drops started to occur again. so i have just bought yet another psu this time a 650W coolermaster psu. (note the past 2 previous psu's where isonic psu's). but now the voltages are sitting where they were with 600w and still dropping!!!

i have satified myself now that it is not the psu which is at fault. but i have no idea what else the problem is. i can run games etc on the pc as it is now but i fear the pc is gona die again.

i havnt overclocked my pc at all.

and one wierd thing is that i rebuilt my pc (ie took mobo out case and re-assembled everything) and the voltages where back at 3.3v etc but then started to drop again!!! WTF!!!

my pc specs are:

intel Q6600
2gb OCZ RAM
XFX 8800gts 320mb
3 assorted sata HDD's
asus p5n32-e sli mobo

pls someone help

Check your devices. IT sounds like you have a device that is drawing more power from the PSU which is taking it from other places. I had a floppy drive that was like this. Ended up drawing so much power that it killed the PSU long before it should have.

Use a multi meter to check and make sure your devices are not drawing more than what they are speciffied to draw.

If one of those assorted SATA drives is a Hitachi, check that first. They have had voltage problems for as long as I can remember.

u really think it could be hdd's? these are the same hdd's i had in my last pc n they never gave trouble there... :\

jus checked the hdd's by unpluging them one by one and checking the voltages. its not the hdd's

just wanted to provide some info....only to see if maybe it is nothing

using batteries for example...

buy some 1.5 v batteries...and they will eventually drop off to around 1.3v....

so...just maybe electronics are all the same...their is a pristine virgin state...and then the actual "in use" spec?

its also the 12v line aswell. the 12v line has also been dropping. the 12v line is now 11.58v :( is there anyway to fix this?

Your voltages are within the ±5% tolerance for ATX power supplies. So there isn't anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom