Wierd Computer Problem - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Wierd Computer Problem

It is a solution yes but I think it only merely covers up the problem that would most likely in the future become a greater problem

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it, hope someone knows what this problem is and can help me out

Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Aero is the Windows 7 and Vista graphical display layout- basically the overlays, graphic effects, etc. that came with W7 are Aero. For an example, press and hold Windows Button+Tab. See if it makes you lag.

Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No it doesn't make me lag, it's quite smooth
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If Aero is disabled, the GPU isn't being used to accelerate your desktop through DirectX. This makes it slower and is why all the fancy visuals are off too. Your windows will "lag" (mine does it too) until Aero is back on. You may also notice some lag or tearing with scrolling in your browser and other windows.
Trotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky View Post
If Aero is disabled, the GPU isn't being used to accelerate your desktop through DirectX. This makes it slower and is why all the fancy visuals are off too. Your windows will "lag" (mine does it too) until Aero is back on. You may also notice some lag or tearing with scrolling in your browser and other windows.
Well I tried disabling AERO on my other computer and my dad's laptop and there is a tiny delay but nothing compared to this massive delay and tearing
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Well I tried disabling AERO on my other computer and my dad's laptop and there is a tiny delay but nothing compared to this massive delay and tearing
I notice you have a 6850 - my card is a 6870 and I have a similar experience when Aero is off. All graphic cards are different and maybe the one in your friends computer and the laptop are more optimised for directdraw (which is the windows 2d graphics engine, something that integrated graphics are designed for). The cards we have are more optimised for DirectX which is mainly used for gaming and aero.
If you don't like the lag then you can keep aero switched on and set game .exe files to switch off aero on launch which you can do by right-clicking the file > compatibility options > tick the box that says "disable desktop composition" and then press ok.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Does yours trail just as bad as mine that shows in youtube?

or is it better?

asking this because i think i MAY of damaged my PCI port by overclocking my GPU
People recommended that I go in 10-20 increments but I noticed there was no errors so I incremented by 100 sometimes and I assume that messed up my mobo slot
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Mine is almost as bad I guess - difficult to compare really.

Overclocking shouldn't really harm the PCIe port on your pc. The GPU could, in theory, be damaged by overclocking and overvolting, but the actual port is mainly a passive bus and shouldn't be damaged. One thing I have seen a lot of lately though is bad capacitors around the PCIe connector. You can check them visually (do a search on youtube for "motherboard capacitors" and watch a couple of videos), but I think the behaviour of your card is pretty normal. The GPU and memory on your card will go into power-saving mode as soon as you stop any intensive activity (like switching from a game to desktop). In this mode the clock speed of both is lowered, but there is usually sufficient power to run the windows desktop. You could try using a third-party utility to stop the power saving mode which should have an effect on the window lag, but tbh low-power mode extends the life of your gfx card and other components in your pc by keeping it considerably cooler when idle.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Update.
I now found out it's not only video lag.
With AERO enabled, there is no shadow trail but whenever i'm browsing the net, my mouse and sound will stutter horribly. My CPU also spikes a lot as you can see from the pic, this is all from just checking my email to looking at youtube.

http://i.imgur.com/29v3b.png

So far I have replaced my GPU and Motherboard for a replacement.