Widescreen not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

siri

Solid State Member
I am having serious problems with my widescreen LCD. Basically my computer behaves like I have a "normal" sized screen. My max resolution should be 1200x800, but all I get now is 1024x768.

I've noticed that a lot of ppl have the same problem when they run certain games, but I encounter it already at boot. My laptop's logo is not centered as it should be and once inside Windows (XP SP2) there's a 2 inch black bar on the right hand side and the start bar "bleeds" when I hold the cursor over it.

I've had this problem before which I resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver, but this time around it seems like I am unable to uninstall the driver properly. I've tried uninstalling all of its components through both control panel and regcleaner (the driver disappears from both lists after uninstall, had to reinstall it to try to uninstall it again), but I don't get the usual screen resolution as if it had uninstalled properly.

I've downloaded a program called Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of all registry and hot key entries, but that didn't work either.

I've uninstalled the Screen adaptor (taking a wild guess what it's called in english since my laptop is configured in spanish) through the hardware adm, that didn't help.

I've downloaded and installed a newer version of the driver, ATI Mobility Catalyst 5.9 (the newest version, 5.10 didn't install properly). I didn't expect that to help even, as it seems like I have a corrupt driver that I can't get rid of to begin with.

... And now... ?

Would there be any way of entering a config file and edit the monitor settings myself? Running the ATI Catalyst Wizard, it says I have a Default LCD display, which it shouldn't. It should say ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 series, at least that's what it does in hardware adm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ahh...

It was all swell for a couple of days, and then it started again. I've been adding the 1280x800 resolution line in a .inf file and at first it helped, but now not any more...

It seems that my system resets the initial value resolution at boot, which it for some reason thinks is 1024x786. When I manage to get a 1200x800 resolution again through an edit in the .inf, it will often disappear after a restart.

Now... Is there some way to edit the registry keys so that the system will think 1200x800 is the initial value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom