Why is my computer performance so BAD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Unhappy Why is my computer performance so BAD?

Hey guys, I bought a computer with reasonably good specs, there are as listed:

Athlon 64 X2 DUAL
4GB of RAM (although I can only use 3GB because I have the 32 bit version of windows)
nVidia GeForce 8200
320GB HD

My computer should run games such as "Empire: Total War" with ease, considering the recommended RAM usage is 512mb and can run smoothly with a non dual core processor and my graphics card is over the recommended. So could someone please tell me why whenever I try to play the game my framerate is HORRIBLE and pretty much unplayable, this also happens with Call of Duty 4 the framerate is shocking. These are the only 2 games I've tried and I'm presuming all the rest will be the same.

Thanks for reading.

PS - can someone advise a performance test online so I can submit the results to you guys and see what you think? Thanks again

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Why is my computer performance so BAD?

Have u updated the graphics drivers?

What monitor/resolution are you playing the games at? Maybe u can lower your resolution

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

go to your control panel and tell me how many processes are running.

Download CCleaner from Pirisoft and run every tool on there that you can.

Also I'm wondering if having too much RAM in there is causing a problem... RAM is typically supposed to be "paired" so if you have 2 x 2 GB sticks, then the last 25% of each one is "missing" which could be causing problems. Trying taking it down to 2GB of RAM and see if anything changes.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkMonkeyHellion View Post

Also I'm wondering if having too much RAM in there is causing a problem... RAM is typically supposed to be "paired" so if you have 2 x 2 GB sticks, then the last 25% of each one is "missing" which could be causing problems. Trying taking it down to 2GB of RAM and see if anything changes.
Trust me , he/she doesn't want to run EVERY tool in ccleaner!! U have to watch it with the registry
Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The registry tool in CCleaner is actually pretty safe, believe it or not. Though messing with the registry is not something everyone wants to do.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
The registry tool in CCleaner is actually pretty safe, believe it or not. Though messing with the registry is not something everyone wants to do.
Plus it has the backup registry option, and if you're uber paranoid, create a Restore Point.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebuilderguy View Post
Have u updated the graphics drivers?

What monitor/resolution are you playing the games at? Maybe u can lower your resolution
I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the monitor resolution but I'm using 1280 X 1024.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Make sure all your drivers are up to date and remove any old ones that might possibly still be on your machine.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Antec 1200 Case
Core i7 2.8 Ghz
6GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GTX 285
22" Monitor
Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkMonkeyHellion View Post

I downloaded CCleaner, should I use the normal windows restore point? Also, how could I lower the RAM being used?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direland View Post
Make sure all your drivers are up to date and remove any old ones that might possibly still be on your machine.
Ok I'll download all the graphics card drivers now and make sure everything is up to date.

Closed Thread