Is this why this comp isnt booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
Hi all, I mode a post a few days ago about a HD boot problem.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/hard-drive-boot-problem-203482/

Well I believe I found the culprit. The manufacture says the mobo is compatible with pc2700 memory while the chip that was in it was a pc3200. Maybe thats why it was given to me for free, the guy stuck the wrong mem in and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. But what confuses me is at first it "started" to boot up ok, and I could get into bios, and in bios it said the memory was there. Is it "obviously" possible for the wrong memory chip to still be compatible enough to be recognized by bios? Will the wrong memory typically lock up on boot or will the system not even start up, or would it short out? Thanks.

Matt

It is possible. But at the same time some RAM Modules can run at slower speeds as well. You might want to try the correct RAM in the system to see if that solves it. Could be that the RAM put in the system is not able to run at that speed.

i doubt it's the memory at fault unless the memory itself is actually faulty. higher speed memory of the same type will just adjust to run at a lower speed. sounds like a pretty straight forward issue by glancing at the first post in your other thread. you can't transfer a hdd to another computer and expect it to boot, at least not with a windows install past windows ME.

i doubt it's the memory at fault unless the memory itself is actually faulty. higher speed memory of the same type will just adjust to run at a lower speed. sounds like a pretty straight forward issue by glancing at the first post in your other thread. you can't transfer a hdd to another computer and expect it to boot, at least not with a windows install past windows ME.

I put the windows cd in and booted up, and it installed windows, then said it had to reboot to finish the installation. Well it reboot and hangs at the "press F2 for bios" screen, which even hitting F2 does nothing now, it just hangs. And when I try to reboot with the windows cd, it doesnt even recognize it now.

Matt

Some boards will refuse to recognize RAM that it doesn't like. Get the correct RAM and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom