Why can't I play MIDI sound? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Why can't I play MIDI sound?

My computer used to be able to play all MIDI music files before I my hard drive crashed and a new one was installed.

I've tried all sorts of things with my Windows Media Player, I've treid installing new MIDI devices and tried Selecting different MIDI Music Playback Devices.

The stange thing is though, that any time I select a device and click 'OK 'or 'Apply' Th Default device box goes blank as if no device was selected at all.

Also when I ran DirectX diagnostic in the music section I found a Note about no General MIDI DLL installed.

I will post pictures on in reply post.

Can anyone please help me with this problem, I hope I am asking in the correct section.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Drivers are corrupted. Uninstall windows media player and clean the registry. Re-install WMP 10. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...a/default.mspx There are free Karaoke software packages. Try one of those: http://www.vanbasco.com/

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have reinstalled Windows Media Player 10, but nothing has changed.

When I play a MIDI file this is what happens,

The file will open up like any other music file and the Media Player reads it as normal. Even the "seek" (time bar) is moving so I know that the file is being read as normal.

But no sound is produced from my speakers.
I can only hear other sound types such as mp3 but not MIDI.

I installed the VanBasco Karaoke Player and tried to play a MIDI file but I got the error message,

These are the pics of when I try to select a MIDI Device.

Firstly I open the Device droplist

Select a device

Press apply, and...

None shows up as selected.

And this is when I ran the DirX Diag

I see a mess age under 'Notes' Saying no General MIDI DLS File in specified in redgistry.
Maybe this may be some usefull info to solve my problem.

I don't thing that the problem I am having is with the MediaPlayer itself, but most likely is my have to do with my actual MIDI devices or DLLs.

Thanks for helping.
Closed Thread