Why am I losing DVI Signal to my two monitors? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Why am I losing DVI Signal to my two monitors?

Ok here is the story. About a 2 months ago, when I was using my 8800gt, I would notice oh maybe once a week, my computer would lose signal to its monitors. This lose in signal would just be visual, the pc was still running. I verified this once, by downloading a large file just before I would go to bed and leave the pc running a loop of 3dmark 06 to see if I could get the monitors to lose signal. Sure enough it did but the file was also downloaded as well.

So I asked around and the general consensus was, your 8800gt is failing. Replace it. Ok, well I didn't want to, but if I had to, ok. So I got my HD 5850. And everything seemed ok, until about a week ago (got this on the 20th) my son booted up Burnout : Paradise and about 30 mins into the game It lost dvi signals and now its started to do it all over again.

When I had it on my 8800gt it progressively got worse and worse and crashed more and more often. Even when just dinking around on the web or just typing a document. Even after down clocking the 8800gt to as low as I possibly could it would still lose the signals.

Now retracking my steps the only MAJOR changes I know I have done is:

Installed Windows 7 64 bit right towards the beginning of December.
Upgrade Drivers for 8800gt.
Changed to HD 5850
Bought a new Samsung F1 1TB drive.
Bought a new Sound Blaster audigy card.

I have tried with both cards to downlocked my cpu back to 3.0ghz which I had it at a constant 4.0 for nearly a year and a half. And the problem has now still occured on both cards.

The strange thing is, not once when I was overclocking the HD 5850 with furmark, vantage, 3dmark 06, dirt 2 demo benchmarks and so on did I ONCE lose signal even for HOURS of looping.

Here are my exactly specs of my computer.

CPU: Dual Core E8400 @ 3.0 ghz (normally 4.0ghz) @ 1.4V when OC.

Ram : Corsiar XMS ddr2 800 4 gigs (2x2)

Video card: I have an 8800gt and hd 5850 both are at stock now. I have never oc'd the 8800gt

Hard drives: OS - Samsung TB Spin Point F1 drive, storage Western Digital, 640 GB drive (blue I believe)

PSU: XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 600W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817190012

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059

My old OS was Vista home premium 64 bit, my new one is Windows 7 home basic 64 bit.

While I wasn't planning on upgrading my gfx card so soon, I was going to by mid march, but thinking my 8800gt was dying and i still wanted to use my pc, I went ahead and bought a new card anyway. However now it seems like it was never my gfx card.

What do you think it is??
Closed Thread