Where'd my sound go??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonb61

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am having a little trouble with my PC.. It's an older PC... 99,00 model.. Amd K6 CPU with Soyo 5SSM mobo and 98SE OS

Anyways, this PC was our first and it's a pretty good PC to be its age. One day I was just trying to clean the system up a bit.. I was in the CP removing programs from the add/remove list and I went to remove one of those stupid spyware programs from the list and my PC froze and I just cursed and proceeded to reboot... I found that the PC was acting really strange after than and a lot of errors were coming up and I found the program list was completly empty... Long story short the PC got the the point where it froze at the OS loading screen so I ended up Reinstalling windows and now I cannot get my sound to work.. I've uninstalled and installed the drivers several times but never seems to work.. I get beeps from the internal speaker but never any audio from the speakers.. The soundcard is built-into the mobo...

This is what it says in Device manager:
ESS Solo-1 DOS Emulation
ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive

Any Help on how to get my speakers working?

Thanks,
-Jason

Well first off, I'd make sure that you get the newest drivers from the manufacturer's web site, but I doubt that's the problem. If anything I'd say that you have a messed up setting in your audio control panel. Make sure that it is set to your type of speaker and make sure you have ALL of the volume controls on (you don't see all of them by default).

I try to open the volume control from the start panel but that doesnt open... Where would I find the Audio Control Panel? I'm on win98se and I cannot open volume conrol and the only thin in the Control Panel is to change the types of sounds played.... Is there a virus that messes up the sound or something?

Thanks,
-Jason

Ok, I've made some progress... I over-looked the "multimedia" icon in the CP... I open that up and the 'Audio' tab is disabled so I went to the 'Devices' tab and found the driver and for status it says this: "Driver is enabled but inactive due to an unknown reason"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jason

Ok, try this. Go into the device manager and just uninstall your sound card. Go to the company's web site and get the latest driver for your card. If the driver isn't an executable (.exe) file, then it will usually be a zipped directory containing 2 or 3 files. Chances are if you tell the site you need the drivers for 98 it will.

Click on the "Add new hardware" icon in the control panel. This should bring up a wizard that will either have you input the new device manually or detect it itself; have it detect it itself. At this point it should say something along the lines of "found new multimedia device". It will then ask you if you want to have it search for the best driver or you can tell it the location of the driver you downloaded; tell it the location manually. Click on browse and navigate to the .inf file (your driver).

After restarting you should be all set, although there is a chance that the hardware wizard will want the Win 98SE CD, so make sure you have it handy.

Hope that helps. :)

That didnt work either... I'm about to go insane! I want to play soem games and AOE sucks without sound lol... Ive installed the drivers several times.. But isnt the device supposed to load somehow at startup? I know I had to manualy add C:\essolo.com to the autobat file.. also I had to add DEVICE=C:\essolo.sys to the config file.. I dont know why it didnt do that by itsself like usual.. I guess its impossible to fix this ... anyone else have some ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom