where is the rest of my drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
hey guys whats up...
will yesterday i wanted to repair windows..but through the repair it kept asking for missing files ..blag blah blah....so i gave up and i came to terms that iam iam going to lose my data..so i did a zero fill on the drive but i stoped it half way through becouse it was taking a long time...i partioned the drive and installed windows..but its not showing all of my drive as it did before...i have a 120 gig drive its only showing 111...so where is my 9 gig....
thanks alot

it is not missing any space at all. metric gigabytes vs. binary gigabytes. a true gigabyte (binary) is 1024x1024x1024bytes. space is advertised by the manufacturer using 1 gigabyte= 1000x1000x1000 bytes. put 120,000,000,000 in a calculator and divide it by 1,073,741,824 and you will get 111gb.

this question doesn't come up that often but it is painful to answer :(, mods fancy a sticky?

nitestick said:
it is not missing any space at all. metric gigabytes vs. binary gigabytes. a true gigabyte (binary) is 1024x1024x1024bytes. space is advertised by the manufacturer using 1 gigabyte= 1000x1000x1000 bytes. put 120,000,000,000 in a calculator and divide it by 1,073,741,824 and you will get 111gb.

this question doesn't come up that often but it is painful to answer :(, mods fancy a sticky?
true..and i understand what you say ..but..beofre i had 118 showing..how dont aske me ..look at this

i tried to patrion whatever left so i can merge them but it says they both should have the same cluster size....i have no idea what that mean ....and i dont wnat to screw anything up

7.8 mb are always left unallocated when windows setup formats your disc. I would think that your problem is happening becase u stopped the low level format

hard drive

i have to agree with Biggie578 and nitestick.
metric gigabytes vs. binary gigabytes.
if your operating system show you 111 gb is all ok and you don't have to worry about anything.
if you get capacity much much lower than 111 gb, then some space on the drive remains unpartitioned for some reasons. you can fix that by creating a new secondary partition on that unpartitioned space, and create the same file system as your primary partition. then you have to merge the two partitions. do this by installing a partition manager software such as parition magic or partition commander, or any other software you can find. i hope we help you. reply again if you face problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom