Where are my D and E drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I have a Dell Desktop with XP. Opened up "My Computer" and noticed my D and E drives are missing. They are my dual deck CD/DVD drives.

I put in discs into D And E drives, green light goes on, nothing happens?

Recently, I erased a few things from Add/Remove Programs. I wonder if I deleted something important by accident???? I don't think so......

Thoughts? Is it something simple I'm missing?

21rh9c.png

Thanks for help..........

Try going into the Device Manager and seeing if they're in there; (Windowskey+Pause/Break, then go to the Hardware tab and then Device Manager button). If they're not there under 'DVD/CD-ROM Drives', look for any yellow question-mark categories and see if they're there.

Troubleshooting tends not to be any use; next course of action would be to reinstall the drivers, in the Device Manager right-click on one of the drivers and click 'Update Driver...', it should reinstall the driver and work fine afterwards. Might require a reboot to get them working fully.

Code 39Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:A required device driver is missing.
A required binary file is corrupted.
There is a problem with the file I/O process.
A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
A required device driver is missing.
A required binary file is corrupted.
There is a problem with the file I/O process.
A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor's Web site.On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
Restart your computer.
Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Try that.

Doesn't seem to work. Uninstalled both. Restarted computer. Computer found both items, but same as before. Yellow question mark. Doesn't work.

Uninstalled again and tried new hardware wizard. Found the items, but again doesn't install properly.

Uh oh........

Are the drives IDE?

I don't know what IDE means.

The system was bought brand new from Dell almost 4 years ago. I didn't install these drives, they are the original components as purchased (if that's what you are asking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom