When should I update my drivers!! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: When should I update my drivers!!

Hi Donetao, Normally I leave my drivers alone unless a fault occurs, as sometimes even adding the latest driver can make the hardware perform less..
If its been years!! I may do a check - but this may not be best practice?

But when I do update my drivers, I look at the hardware Ids in device manager as this is the best place to find the correct drivers, to do this goto:

Device manager > select the device you want to update the driver > right click properties > select "details" tab > drop the "property" tab and select "hardware Ids" - this will show you the vendor/ device code for the needed driver.

Now goto PCI Vendor and Device Lists and look up the VEN or Device, let say you look up the VEN, once the page loads "find" the Device code and it will show you or provide a link to the DL for the driver..

Hope this helps

Old 08-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Hi Sorry I'm so thick headed! Drivers are not not my expertly. Where do I get the chipset drivers for my mother board?? The Geeks say they are the first to install because they play a part in how the other drivers are installed. I can not find the MB chipset drivers for my Toshiba! I hope I'm making sense.
Gary!
PS Thanks i2D. I'll give that a look! I have also heard that it's not always good to update drivers, unless you're having problems. Then others say you should keep your drivers updated, and that's what confuses me!! Should I or shouldn't I ? I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. LOL

donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetao View Post
Hi Sorry I'm so thick headed! Drivers are not not my expertly. Where do I get the chipset drivers for my mother board?? The Geeks say they are the first to install because they play a part in how the other drivers are installed. I can not find the MB chipset drivers for my Toshiba! I hope I'm making sense.
Gary!
If it's an AMD system, then that was already addressed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetao View Post
What the Hell does this mean?? Thanks guys! I warned you I have a lot of questions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Means exactly what it says - the chipset drivers for AMD-based systems are included in AMD display driver packages. Meaning if you install the AMD display drivers (or the Catalyst Control Center suite, which is optional), it will install the AMD chipset drivers as well.
If it's an Intel chipset, then go to Intel's website and get the Chipset Installer and it will install the appropriate driver for your system.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Hi I told you guys that this is one place I get confused no matter how hard I try to understand this. Here's my MB. Where to I get the chipset?? I see AMD mentioned here, but I still don't understand this.
Sorry!
Gary!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture48.JPG (60.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Private Joker

I'm not really sure how to be much more clear than how I was. The AMD chipset drivers are packaged with the AMD display (graphics) drivers. So if you install or update your graphics/display drivers from AMD's site, it will also install the latest chipset drivers available to your system, automatically.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Hi carnage! Sorry for being a PITA. I think I finally understand. Toshiba seems to be different or is this a AMD thing. I guess I could go here and get the chipset drivers. This would be the first driver I install after a fresh install of W7??
Thanks for your patience Sir!!
Gary!
AMD Driver Autodetect
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Private Joker

It's an AMD thing, not a Toshiba thing.

Yes, you would just go to the AMD site and pick your Display Driver (or use the AutoDetect tool) and download/install.