When should I update my drivers!!

donetao

Banned
Hi! It was suggested I start a thread about up dating drivers. Searched the forum and really didn't see a good place to start this thread, so please move or delete which ever is appropriate.
I hear a lot about drivers causing BSOD and a whole bunch of other problems. A big cause of BSOD are driver related. When do you up date drivers?
I hear don't fix it if it ain't broke and then I hear keep your drivers up dated and windows updates are not good enough to keep all your drivers up dated.
I have used programs like Slim Drivers to check for up dates and then someone will tell me it might cause me grief and better to use your manufacture. Then someone will tell me the manufacture doesn't always have the latest up date.
Well all this is driving me crazy. I have spent a lot of time searching the web for answers and I'm only more confused.
This thread is getting to long already.
I would like your thoughts about this and also how to install drivers. I know that a exe just requires a double left click, but what about others drivers.
Here's the drivers I think should be up dated!:D I copied this from the web!!
I'm a little bored tonight and thought other members might be interested in this subject.
HTG Explains: When Do You Need to Update Your Drivers?

• Video Card: The difference in speed between the generic Windows drivers for your video card and the official NVidia or ATI/AMDdrivers will surprise you. Even if you aren't a gamer, make sure you have the real drivers.
  • Motherboard/Chipset: you'll want to make sure to head to the manufacturer's site and grab their chipset drivers. If you bought a PC, head to their site, if you built one, go to the motherboard manufacturer's site. Every installer is different, but in general, you can just run the downloaded driver.
  • Sound Card:the native Windows drivers won't include all the extra sound features like virtual surround, etc. If you bought a PC, head to their site, if you built one, either go to the motherboard manufacturer's site for onboard sound, or the sound card manufacturer's web site otherwise.
  • Network Card: most likely you're using some type of onboard card that's part of the motherboard, and you already grabbed the drivers from there.
If you're a gamer, you'll probably want to make sure to keep your video card drivers updated regularly.

When I ask which drivers need to be updated I see this a lot!

Hi I have found this, but it doesn't seem to be what I see in devise manager and leaves a little to be desired IMHO! Maybe it's just because I'm a little thick between the ears.LOL But #2 is not the options I see on a right click!!
If the top level of the folder doesn't include a Setup.exe installation file, try directing Windows to the folder you want it to install

1. Open Device Manager. Right click the the device you want to install. Select Update Driver
  2. Click No, not this time then Next
  3. Click Install from a list or specific location then Next
  4. Check Include this location in the search then Browse to the folder you saved on your Desktop (I.e. the extracted ZIP file) then Next
  5. If Windows thinks the driver in the folder is a match for the device you selected, it will install it. Reboot to allow driver installation to complete
Once driver installation is complete you can delete the folder on your Desktop. (But you may want to save it somewhere should you ever need to reinstall the driver again)

Last edited:
I have used programs like Slim Drivers to check for up dates and then someone will tell me it might cause me grief and better to use your manufacture.
I don't recommend those "driver update" applications at all - who knows where they're getting the driver from, and if it's even actually the latest? Just adds bloat IMO.

Then someone will tell me the manufacture doesn't always have the latest up date.
The system manufacturer may not have the latest, but the component manufacturer will always have the latest drivers (except in rare cases).

For example, chipset drivers for an Asus motherboard with an Intel chipset. The Asus website will have their own "stable" drivers they made available when they released the board. Whether they update those drivers or not is up to them. However, Intel's website will almost always have the latest chipset drivers, possibly even years newer than what Asus has available on their site for the motherboard.

That's why I always suggest getting the driver from the individual component manufacturer's site, over the system manufacturer's site for a given driver.

A problem you may run in to from time to time is the mother board (chipset) drivers are out of date. These are the instructions for the chipset to interface to other devices on the mother board.
You get those from the chipset maker or the maker of the mother board. You'd be surprised how this little bit of software makes a difference in how smooth things run on your mother board.

Make sure you get only the chipset driver for your specific chipset.

Oh snap, carnageX. I need to type faster.

Hi! seti The chipset driver is another confusion for me. I can not find it for my model number.
The info I get is it's included in the AMD driver, which makes no sense to me. Get ready for a lot of questions my friends, because I have several. LOL
Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7222
I understand what you're saying about the component manufacture Carnage; having a newer up date, but I think it sucks that the manufacture doesn't keep the latest update.
Thanks guys for your replies. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you!!
Gary!
PS you are appreciated!!

What the Hell does this mean?? Thanks guys! I warned you I have a lot of questions!
The AMD display-driver package contains the chipset software. If things don't work out right after a clean install of Windows, it's because that was not installed as the very first thing - prior to any other driver. Install the TVAP before any other Toshiba utility.

I registered here to learn and hopefully be a asset to the forum. Did not come here to cause trouble or Hi_ jack threads. I'm afraid I probably have forgotten about as much as I have learned. I hope I don't appear cocky. I really need to learn about drivers and Routers and many other things now that I think about it.

I appreciate every suggestion and advise that is given to me.
I'll BB tomorrow if the creek don't rise. LOL
Thanks guys! I'm just a old country boy that loves people and learning new things!
Gary!!

Last edited:
What the Hell does this mean?? Thanks guys! I warned you I have a lot of questions!

Means exactly what it says - the chipset drivers for AMD-based systems are included in AMD display driver packages. Meaning if you install the AMD display drivers (or the Catalyst Control Center suite, which is optional), it will install the AMD chipset drivers as well.

Back
Top Bottom