What's wrong with my USB ports? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodnil

Beta member
Hi. When I plug my USB flash drive into my computer, the computer shuts down suddenly and tries to boot off the USB flash drive and won't boot the computer again until I unplug the flash drive. This is the first time I have ever tried to use a flash drive on my computer. (Tried flash drive on another computer and worked fine) I have a digital camera and that works fine with the computer's USB ports. Any ideas why this is happening? My computer is a Compaq Evo. I haven't done any mods to it.

When the computer restarts I get a error report with this in the error log

Code:
BCCode : 1000007e     BCP1 : C0000005     BCP2 : F7A218E4     BCP3 : F7A217F0
BCP4 : F7A214EC     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 2_0     Product : 768_1    

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fcb.dir00\Mini031708-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fcb.dir00\sysdata.xml

Thanks if you reply.

Ok, just let me understand something...i take it that the PC is booted up etc, and then you insert the memory stick and the PC just reboots?

Can you explain the reboot and do you see and messages or anything?

Do you have anything else plugged into the USB ports or even a USB mouse/keyboard plugged in?

Ok, just let me understand something...i take it that the PC is booted up etc, and then you insert the memory stick and the PC just reboots?

Can you explain the reboot and do you see and messages or anything?

Do you have anything else plugged into the USB ports or even a USB mouse/keyboard plugged in?

Hi, thanks for your reply. The computer just turns off as if some just unplugged the power cord. Then restarts and says "failed to boot off usb flash drive." Also, I don't have anything else plugged into the USB ports.

Thanks for your replies.

it could be a setting in your bios. because there is a setting in mine that allows you to boot off of flashdrive.

Could be but I don't see why it would automatically restart because of that. WHen did this start happening? Or has it always been like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom