Whats a good way tom keep my system dust free. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Lightbulb Whats a good way tom keep my system dust free.

After about 4 months now, my xclio case is starting to suck up dust and I don't want that thing to over heat while I'm not there.
Could I use a small vacuume to suck up the dust and dirt when the pc is fully off for about 30 minutes ?
I know I'm supposed you a air can blower, but the thing doesn't do a good job plus it blows dust into the other parts where I don't need it to be, especially the cpu and heatsink fan with the capacitors nearby it.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Whats a good way tom keep my system dust free.

I believe vacuums have the possibility of creating static. Just turn your computer off, take it to an open area, and then blow all of the dust out that way; an air compressor works wonders as well .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Put it in a static free room... :P

But, really, just clean it out once a month.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

You can get dust filters too (or Bounce dryer sheets...if you're too cheap to go and buy filters; same thing pretty much), but they inhibit airflow.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dust filters help only a little bit. Every little crack in your computer will cause dust to get in there.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Caution Caution Caution Caution...
Following advice is very controversial and risky
Only follow at your own risk!

Take your pc to an open area with an elevated surface (preferably no carpeting). Set the tower on static guard wrapping. Plug in the pc power turn your psu switch off. Now use canned air in conjunction with a vacuum. Try to keep the vacuum away from the pc as much as possible (use the hose). Use the canned are to kick up the loose dust and talentedly suck it up with the vacuum. [Caution There is a Risk of static charge, plz follow with extreme precautions]. The really stuck on dirt (fans and such), use a cotton cloth to delicately remove the dirt. Cotton swabs can also be used to get into corners (make sure no threads off the cotton swab gets stuck on any parts). Any other grim is probably heat set on over time, and unfortunately is there to stay unless you want to risk serious issues. One last fyi, use a shop-vac, it uses a 3prong plug, decreases the risk of static buildup.

I MUST WARN AGAIN THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!!! It can be done, but do at your own risk and knowing this can cause damage. I personally have done this several times... yet every time i am holding my breath everything is alright. It should only be done in extreme build up situation (e.i. ex-roommate smoked like a chimney, and i had to remove 2years worth of nicotine and smoke residue off the parts).

Intel i5 3570k 3.5 quad | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 mobo
Cosair XMS3 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 | EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB DDR5
Corsair 700w PSU | Western Digital Blue Cavier 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA II | Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bento. NO

I have used can air, without all these precautions, I never broke a single thing..
Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you never turn it on and you wrap it in plastic it will stay Dust-Free for years
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's how they ship desktop cases...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobaku View Post
Caution Caution Caution Caution...
Following advice is very controversial and risky
Only follow at your own risk!

Take your pc to an open area with an elevated surface (preferably no carpeting). Set the tower on static guard wrapping. Plug in the pc power turn your psu switch off. Now use canned air in conjunction with a vacuum. Try to keep the vacuum away from the pc as much as possible (use the hose). Use the canned are to kick up the loose dust and talentedly suck it up with the vacuum. [Caution There is a Risk of static charge, plz follow with extreme precautions]. The really stuck on dirt (fans and such), use a cotton cloth to delicately remove the dirt. Cotton swabs can also be used to get into corners (make sure no threads off the cotton swab gets stuck on any parts). Any other grim is probably heat set on over time, and unfortunately is there to stay unless you want to risk serious issues. One last fyi, use a shop-vac, it uses a 3prong plug, decreases the risk of static buildup.

I MUST WARN AGAIN THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!!! It can be done, but do at your own risk and knowing this can cause damage. I personally have done this several times... yet every time i am holding my breath everything is alright. It should only be done in extreme build up situation (e.i. ex-roommate smoked like a chimney, and i had to remove 2years worth of nicotine and smoke residue off the parts).

Look here dude, I'm not going to be using the vacuum inside of my case, I am going to take the sidepanel off and vacuum off the big side fan, and I wll take it my mobo ad take the vacuuum and suck on the big 200MM front fan.
I'll take a cloth and wpe inside, I've clean computers before even with a mini handsize vacuums and my old sysems came back on without damage or fuss.

DOn't worry about me ok, if any mod see's this please shut this down to prevent any unwelcome or unfriendly comments.
I can see this thread turning bad real quick and I won't be the guy who started what.... >_>

Closed Thread