what's causing slowdown around lots of players in BF2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirstratocaster

Beta member
When I play Battlefield 2, and I'm in a server with a lot of people, I get big slowdowns whenever I'm around a large group of people, and it seems to mostly slow down only when I'm looking at them. They can be through a wall or anything, but as long as I can see their username (which is always above teammates in BF2), it slows down.

What is the bottleneck here? It can't be graphics card, because there's nothing more to render (unless you count a few blue letters per person, lol), so is it CPU, ram...or what?

Note: If I turn my "textures" setting on high in BF2, I get major choppiness when looking left and right. (This is not from a lack of graphics card power, it can render everything else on high perfectly, AA 4x, dynamic lighting, etc.) Every now and then, gameplay will also slow to about 5 FPS, but go smooth again once I look away from my teammates! Sound familiar? Same deal as before, too - whether or not they're through a wall or behind a hill.

EDIT: Forgot to put in my specs: P4 2.8Ghz, GeForce 6800GS AGP, 1.5 gigs of ram (2 sticks of 256 PC2700 that came with my comp, and 2 sticks of 512 Kingston PC3200, both sets running in dual channel and at PC2700 (Please don't try to tell me it's because of this, it's only a small performance hit to be running PC2700 instead of 3200)

My comp is a Sony Vaio that my family got two or three years ago, and I hijacked it several months ago so I could use it for gaming. I got the graphics card and the Kingston ram, but everything else is the stock stuff that came with the computer.

It could be your network connection. Is your ping ok while your playing? It could also be the server you are playing on. Some are not as fast as others and would cause this.

Yeah, my pings are fine. I'm on 3.5Mb/s cable connection, through a Belkin wireless reciever. Does net connection have something to do with performance while looking at teammates?

It seems like there's a connection to the problem with texture settings because both problems occur while I'm looking in the direction of teammates, so that makes me think it doesn't have to do with net connection stuff, but if someone knows otherwise, please tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom