What's the -5v on a computer PSU used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
I have a HP Pavilion XL866 computer that has (I'm pretty sure) a dead PSU.

I'm attaching a picture of the label from the bad PSU so you can see the voltages and the amps.....and the model number in case you happen to know where I can find a replacement.

This computer was purchased in Feb 2000 and the LiteOn PSU that's in it came with it. The computer is dead, it does absolutely nothing. No lights, no buzzing, no fans, not a sound.

I would appreciate someone telling me what the -5V output is used for since most of the replacement ones I've looked at don't have the -5V output....they have the -12V but not the -5V.

If I knew what the -5v output did I might not be concerned too much about trying to find one that has it.

Personally I think it's important but I don't know that much about computer PSU's.

Thanks

Attachments

• dscn2500 (small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 48
I found out the -5v output from a PSU is for ISA......and since ISA is not used much these days, that's why it's no longer a concern for most PSU manufacturers.

Sure does, I tried to attach a photo of the label on the PSU but the attachment feature didn't work for me.

Look in the previous posts....I included a photo of the PSU label. It has the voltages and amps....and the model LiteOn PS-6161-2H1.

Help, my old PSU in my HP Pavilion XL866 has a 4Pin "Video Power Connector" (shaped like a speaker connector.....in-line pins; not the square 4 pin cpu connector).

I took the PSU out and now I can't figure out where this P8 connector goes......anyone know? I didn't mark them as I should have. Thought it would be easy. Was I fooled.

The P* lead is called a "4Pin Video Power Connector"....that's about all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom