What needs replacing??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default What needs replacing???

Hey everyone,
I am really annoyed by this problem. I am receiving errors upon cold boot of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 when Startup Repair runs and gives me varying errors (sometimes different) but all with the same solution, a System Restore. This is extremely annoying as any programs I installed recently disappear as well as any files. I have re-installed Windows 3 times, with 2 different copies, I have ruled out faulty RAM as I just got them back from RMA (proved faulty in memtest) and still getting the problem, no problems with mobo DIMMS because I ran Memtest again with RMA'd RAM and no errors, HDD I believe is fine because SeaTools passes it on Long Test, all drivers are installed, BIOS setting are all correct to my knowledge (ram timings, voltages). I really dont know what else to check for, or re-check for to fix this problem. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the faulty RAM had some sort of affect on the Windows installation? So I am going to run a repair installation now with the new RAM and see if that helps. If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: What needs replacing???

Do a fresh re-install of Win7 with the new ram, but first, did you test each stick of RAM seperate?

Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea I actually just completed a fresh install of Win7, just getting all my drivers back etc. Are you talking about the old RAM or the new sticks?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The new ones, sometimes strange things like that can happen.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No I tested the new ones together because I got errors on the old ones when they were together. Should I test the new ones separately? And also, after the fresh install last night, this morning there was no startup errors (cold boot), but this has happened in the past, so I will keep you updated if it appears again. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would test them separate, and together, as sometimes they can error when together, or when not together.

Closed Thread