What does five beeps mean? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I cleaned the cpu of the thermal paste, re-applied it and still five beeps. Im working with a a8n-sli mobo. Heres something that might be the cause. When I first applied the paste I applied too much and some oozed out the side. Now I cleaned it off good and inspected the pins and its all clean but the fact remains there was some hefty artic silver dripping on the side of the chip. Also, I didn't use a stock HSF so I had to screw in a new retaining bracket. And lastly, the way the new heatsink was structured was that I was supposed to use leverage to complete it in once i got two clips locked; during this moment I scratched the cpu as it the hs slid in. I checked the cpu and there seems to be two discolorations 2 mm in circumferences -- they appear to be scratches, but extremely shallow and wide.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

RMA the CPU, Tell them nothing other then it never worked.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by Janwar1500
I cleaned the cpu of the thermal paste, re-applied it and still five beeps. Im working with a a8n-sli mobo. Heres something that might be the cause. When I first applied the paste I applied too much and some oozed out the side. Now I cleaned it off good and inspected the pins and its all clean but the fact remains there was some hefty artic silver dripping on the side of the chip. Also, I didn't use a stock HSF so I had to screw in a new retaining bracket. And lastly, the way the new heatsink was structured was that I was supposed to use leverage to complete it in once i got two clips locked; during this moment I scratched the cpu as it the hs slid in. I checked the cpu and there seems to be two discolorations 2 mm in circumferences -- they appear to be scratches, but extremely shallow and wide.
AS5 over the side should not harm a CPU
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

Okay.....discolorations....you really need to say more about that!!! what color? Having not seen the chip I'm guessing that you have fried that CPU. If you had to Jury Rig that heat sink I'm thinking you didn't have a good solid interface between the CPU and the Heat sinc and the CPU went nuclear. Is this a P4 or AMD cpu...if it is an AMD.....it's toast. They can hit 560F in less than 2 minutes!!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey. Fortunately the cpu is functioning and I got the one beep after I re-inserted the video cards. Now I have another nooblet question. I want to install windows but each time after the first "a8n-sli" screen, I get this screen "Disk boot failure insert system disk". Is it as simple as inserting a floppy disk? And if so, do I need to type in any command. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

uh wow,
You need to buy an Operating system disc, such as Windows XP pro or Windows XP home, the cheapest is 91$ OEM windows XP home.

But you can also install linux and other OS's.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janwar1500
Hey. Fortunately the cpu is functioning and I got the one beep after I re-inserted the video cards. Now I have another nooblet question. I want to install windows but each time after the first "a8n-sli" screen, I get this screen "Disk boot failure insert system disk". Is it as simple as inserting a floppy disk? And if so, do I need to type in any command. Thanks.
set the first priority to boot on cd-rom in the BIOS

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Closed Thread