What to do after Memtest86?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
I am having trouble starting my computer, it crashes during the "starting windows" screen. Cannot re-format/install windows. Cannot startup repair or restore.

I burned a cd of memtest86 and used that. Went through 8 passes, found several million errors. Took one memory stick out, and did 5 passes with just one and zero errors. What is the next step to finding out what the problem is and fixing it?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much for your time.

When I start up Windows after using my password its just a black screen and i have a few pop-ups of programs that are ran right as I boot up like Skype. I am not connected to the internet.

Please help!

Are you using a stick that returns 0 errors? if so you could try a repair, running with the bad memory may have messed up your install.

I was able to complete a Windows 7 installation. What should I do to prevent this from happening again? Update drivers?

Also, is the stick of memory that doesn't work worthless now or can i repair it?

If I have to get new memory...I have heard good things about crucial but I don't know?

Is the RAM still under warranty? I would check with the RAM manufacturer if it is still under warranty or not.

Crucial is good; G.Skill is also good (I've used them for several builds and haven't had any problems so far).

Note that 1 error in Memtest is too many. No you cannot repair the RAM, but almost all RAM has a lifetime warranty. Contact the RAM maker.

Are you observing proper ESD control to ensure you are not zapping the RAM while handling? Are you unplugging the computer from the wall (or setting the PSU master switch, if equipped, to off) before reaching in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom