What to do!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Unhappy What to do!?

Hi Everybody,
Well as some of you know my computer has been hating me which i have found to be my ATI Radeon 9200SE (i was decieved on ebay about the SE ). My computer will boot but the screen is completely un readable. i was wondering if i used one of those remote access programs that allow you to remotely control your computer to un-instal my video drivers and switch it to the on-board graphics (thank god i have onboard or i'd be SCREWED). Do you think this will work or have any other ideas? I wil need to somehow install whatever program i use so does anybody know how i might go about instaling a program with no user input?
Thanks

Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Plug your monitor into the intergrated port, remove 9200SE, and reset CMOS

Old 09-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Does it look weird in Windows only, or all the time? If only in Windows, you should boot in safe mode and emove the drivers/reinstall.
If it's totally screwed DJ-CHRIS's solution will work.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes, as major said. If it is a driver glitch, then going to safe mode will be fine as it uses generic drivers to avoid conflicts.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 09-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I can't really find that out because when I press the F8 key to get into the setup mode the computer just beeps every time I press it and when i plug in the monitor nothing is on the screen. Also, how do i go about reseting the cmos and what does that do?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Well... Anybody? Also do i have to reset the CMOS if i take the Card out? I don't really know what the CMOS stores in it so i don't know what this will affect if i reset it.

....Anyone?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. short explaination- its similar to ram because it needs a current to store data, it holds all changes made to the bios from its factory state. remove the 9200, plug the monitor cable in to the on board graphics and either try and find the jumpers for the cmos or with the computer turned off remove the battery for about ten minutes and replace it. a thought just occurred to me. did the card ever work? could be that the motherboard has a jumper to disable the onboard graphics.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

The Card has been working up untill now. I'd probably be safer removing the battery than finding a jumper (just in case i pull the wrong one) I'm assuming that when i remove the battery the computer should be unpluged from the wall.
Well, Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yeah.

Closed Thread