What could possibly be wrong with this laptop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemogoblin

Solid State Member
Before I start, here is a link to my exact laptop from the Toshiba website:
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=223&product=321&part=513

Long story short is that I couldn't get the unit started (it would just turn on the fan, and the screen would be black, no nothing, no beeps, nothing...) and this is after it would shut itself off for no apparent reason. Now, I can sometimes get it started, as in 1 in 100 tries, but it bluescreens in the middle of launching Windows. At this point, I can't get it to start at all, just blank screen. I have cleaned the heatsink too and it was pretty dusty.

I took it into a tech place and the tech said he thinks the motherboard is fried. My question is, if the motherboard IS fried, would I still be able to listen to CD's on the unit? I can turn on the CD player without opening the laptop from the buttons on the front of the unit, and it plays great. I just assumed that if the MB was gone, it's wouldn't even do that? Maybe I'm wrong.

If it turns out that it is the MB, what should I do? I've been told it wouldn't be worth fixing, so should I part it out or sell as a whole unit? Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Steve

I'm not sure about the cd player question, I don't have any experience with that type of drive.
Now, assuming it's the motherboard that's actually bad (probably either mobo or maybe power supply) it's probably not worth replacing. Figure $200-300 for a new mobo plus getting it installed (Toshibas are foten not user servicable) and you're getting pretty expensive. You could make a little money with it on ebay if you advertise it right and put the money towards a new laptop if you want.

if the motherboard is fried then you cant play cds with it as the sound card would be built on to the motherboard and that wouldnt work among a few other reasons

Cool, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have take it into a Toshiba certified repair shop and see what they have to say. Hope it isn't the mobo after all.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom