What can be causing these issues?

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hi all,

I gave my friend an old desktop i made in 2010 to play Overwatch. I never looked at minimum specs for Overwatch because i just assumed my build was the best ;). I was pretty certain it was good enough to run it at at least 30FPS (compared to his 10-15 on his laptop).
Anyway, it turns out it couldn't and so we bought 8GB RAM, upgrading the system to 12GB RAM. FPS went from 20 to a little over 50. But after a few days the FPS drops to below 20 consistently and I'm not sure why.

So since we don't live together, i'm not sure when the FPS started dropping but it's only been 3 days since we installed the new RAM. There have been one main issue that is of major concern to me but it seems to occur randomly: The Fans start spinning very fast and the monitor turns black. It'll work after a few reboots. What can be causing this issue? It only started happening after we installed the new RAM.

ALSO last time I ran malwarebytes was nearly 2 years ago and apparently there was a Trojan on the system. recovered about 20fps while doing nothing but during the actual combat it still drops to below 15.

I'm starting to think the issue is the GPU. Honestly have no idea.

Extra info:I lent this computer last summer and a friend spilled protein shake all over it (got on a lot of things on the inside) but everything runs fine (still not cleaned up cuz i'm a lazy bum) Temps are fine and voltages also appear fine.

Build:
AMD Phenom ii x2 555 Black Edition
ATI Radeon 5850
MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard
Antec Earthwatts 750W
G.SKill Ripjaws 2x4GB && 2x2GB DDR3 1600(PC3 12800)

Sorry long post. I am lost

Hi all,
So since we don't live together, i'm not sure when the FPS started dropping but it's only been 3 days since we installed the new RAM. There have been one main issue that is of major concern to me but it seems to occur randomly: The Fans start spinning very fast and the monitor turns black. It'll work after a few reboots. What can be causing this issue? It only started happening after we installed the new RAM.

ALSO last time I ran malwarebytes was nearly 2 years ago and apparently there was a Trojan on the system. recovered about 20fps while doing nothing but during the actual combat it still drops to below 15.

I'm starting to think the issue is the GPU. Honestly have no idea.

Are there any specifications that might lend a bit more insight to the issue? Such as the current build specifications, the GPU series? If the GPU is out of date, its not uncommon to see issues in running some games regularly.

There might be issues in the build of the game itself, connection speed, etc. The more details you have the better to narrow the issue, also, if you're not onsite, try remote connection through chrome -- works well for off-site help.

Phenom 2 has a weak IMC. You might need to either drop speeds to 1333 or raise IMC voltage. Have you actually loaded CPU temp with Prime95 or Aida64 for long periods of time? Might also help to set all RAM timings and RAM voltage in the bios manually.

When was the last time the GPU was properly cleaned? Did you properly stress it with Kombustor?

Being dual core the CPU might not have enough threads. The game seems to properly load 3-4 threads when in battle. I'm assuming the resolution is 1080p or less so the 5850 in theory should be able to run it properly on all low settings.

Finally, if malware or a virus isn't the issue the protein shake might be the achilles heel here. Any kind of liquid spilled on electronics if not properly cleaned up and let dry for 24-48 hours could have shorted something that's not immediately noticeable.

The protein shake wasn't cleaned up and you haven't run a Malware scan in over 2 years and the last time you did so you found a Trojan? I doubt we can go any further until the sake is cleaned up and up to date malware scans are run as heat and Malware are the most obvious reasons for these issues, why look any further until this much is ruled out?

Back
Top Bottom