Westinghouse LVM-37w1 (no 1080)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucket is here

Beta member
Despite the glowing reviews on the internet regarding using this TV as a PC monitor, mine just flat-out refuses to display in its native resolution of 1920x1080. Tech support is no help. Before I get into it, here are some specs from boxes I've tried to use:

1. Mac Mini, $499 version

2. Athlon 64, GeForce 7800 256MB

3. AMD 1.8GHz, GeForce 5500 64MB

Each one of these boxes allows connections through DVI. On the TV, DVI1 allows true 1:1 pixel output, while DVI2 allows up to 1280x1024 with upsampling. I have both a single-link and double-link cable (I'm assuming that one has 18 pins and other has 24).

So, first I tried the Mac Mini. I was getting 1080 just fine, no problems. However, I was getting a washed-out pink image (like the white point was WAY off). It was rather painful to look at. Adjusting color settings for the video card could hardly fix the problem, like throwing a rock at a tank. A reboot yielded the same result, except this time green was all I could see. I didn't have the 24-pin cable at this point.

Some time later, I tried again with the Athlon64, my office PC. I figured this is a top-of-the-line card, shouldn't be any problems. First try: no signal. It took a whole night to figure out that the nVidia drivers WILL NOT output to the monitor unless I have a CRT connected at the same time, so I can switch the primary display and turn Dualview off. (Of course, that's considering that I use a 19" CRT and then move the box to the living room for movies... but still. Can't detect the monitor??) Anyway, this was only in DVI2, displaying at 1280x1024 with horrible stretching. Well after I resigned to the fact that DVI1 resulted in the same color problems as the Mac, or no signal at all-- with either cable.

Then, I managed to put together the 5500 box from old parts. A 5500, though a few years old, should be able to handle full res. I took the 24-pin cable, hooked it up... yay! I can use DVI1! I installed WinXP while using the TV. When all was said and done, it still wouldn't display 1080 as a supported resolution (I'm still forced to use 1280x1024 and lower), and I'm getting these jumbled pixels in random spots on the screen, like confetti. DVI2 doesn't have pixel problems, so I'm currently using that.

Now, considering I bought the TV because of the reviews all over the net telling me how simple and painless it was to use this model as a PC monitor, I'm pretty **** disappointed. What's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom