werid problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default werid problem

i recently bought a new case .. everything went smooth the board fit nicely into the new case the power supply was more than enuf but when i started the computer the bios was running slow and auto dectecting drives.. that takes about 2 minutes now.. it wouldnt read all the drives sometimes it still wont and i have to switch the jumpers between slave and cs on a cdrom to get my secondary hd to read .. i took the power supply out of the old case and put it in the new one thinking that might help it didnt.. the only thing different about the new case is instead of having the copper riser screws it has raised bits of aluminium for the board screws... any ideas on this would help as i am stumped

thanks hypermaxed

Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Check your jumpers. Do not use CS

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
MCP 2000
Old 10-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

enable fast boot in BIOS
Old 10-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

There is something wrong with your drives setup. When the BIOS takes forever scanning your drives then it is usually a configuration error or a failing piece of hardware.

You have to do factor of elimination. First discconect all your IDE devices then boot..it should go right through that POST fast then of course error out with no OS or insert system disk or some crap. Then plug in one device at a time till you find the problem child. I agree designate the master/slave relationship do not use CS. Remeber your OS hard drive must be the Primary Master and no hard drive can be a slave to a CD-ROM drive.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i have it working again all drives are reading i switched the bios so that i put in the harddrives manually so that it wouldnt auto detect that made it go a bit faster.. i still aint sure about it tho still seems a lil slow and i got shocked once when i went to unplug the PS ... does that mean i have a bad ground? and if so how should i go about fixing it? this case wont allow me to use the mounting screws since it has the raised pieces or should i try putting the mounting screws on? i have spare ones from another case?

thanks again for any help

Closed Thread