Weird unknown problem :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

loopholes202

Baseband Member
So I had a half finished computer sitting around here for a few months, and I recently bought the parts to finish it up. (At this point there was only the Processor, CD Drive and HD missing)

I went to put the processor in, got it in, put the fan in, and I plugged it in, flipped the switch and... All the lights came on, it beeped a few times, so I flipped the switch.

I tested it again not 5 seconds later and nothing turns on, no beeps, no lights, no nothin.

Help?

Also, I was going to ground the PSU with a paperclip to see if it works that way, but I can't remember which Pins it was - Don't really feel like guessing here. Black 'uns right?

What kind of beeps??? Try unplugging the PC from the wall entirely, remove the CMOS battery, and press the power button to drain all caps on the motherboard, let it sit for about ten or 15 minutes, and try powering it back up, also, make sure all the power dongles are plugged in correctly. Another thing to do while your in there is to remove and reseat everything, and there was thermal paste on the CPU right?

What kind of beeps??? Try unplugging the PC from the wall entirely, remove the CMOS battery, and press the power button to drain all caps on the motherboard, let it sit for about ten or 15 minutes, and try powering it back up, also, make sure all the power dongles are plugged in correctly. Another thing to do while your in there is to remove and reseat everything, and there was thermal paste on the CPU right?

Yes there was Thermal Paste

Unplugged and retried

CMOS Battery, I'll do that now.

The power dongles are correct, since it powered up the first time, yes?

charles_scott, I did that all now, and well... Nope, still borked... If anyone could confirm with me the pins to ground it with, so I can test the PSU?

PINOUT

That should help you find whatever pins you want to find

Oh, just a note, you don't have to wait 10mins before powering on again. The caps should only take a few seconds to deplete themselves.

For me, if I put my computer to sleep, then switch the power off at the wall, the computer won't start until I clear the CMOS.

The most likely scenario here is you've shorted something. Open up your case and check...
1. The mobo for any blown capacitors
2. The cpu for any burn/scorch marks
3. do make sure the psu is grounded :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom