Beta member
Just upgraded my computer with some new, really nice parts:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor
ASUS A8N5X nForce4 Motherboard
ASUS GeForce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-Express
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB DDR400 Memory
Maxtor ATA133 80GB HardDrive
Allied 450W PowerSupply

So I get the Windows XP Home installed, all the drivers for my new parts from their websites, and all the windows updates available to me. I can run games like I never have before, unbelievable FPS at the highest rez and highest quality settings.

However, there are some really weird things happening. When I'm in Windows, navigating about it, my computer moves really sluggishly. For instance, when I click on "Half-life 2" to get it going, it takes about 30 seconds for it finally pop up. And once it is, and the program starts, it sits at "Loading" screen for the main menu for about 5 minutes before it finally kicks in. It's actually taking longer to get things done with this new processor than it did with my old AMD XP 2500+! Once I'm actually in a game, it seems to run without a hitch. Outside, it's a totally different story.

Also, I can't seem to connect to any peer 2 peer programs like Kazaa with this new setup. I've tried everything to get it going, but to no avail. Games run great for the most part, but otherwise it's a complete mess with these upgrades. Please help me out here, and give me some sorta idea as to what could be the problem?

- LaJon

We can't discuss anything about Kazaa or other programs such as that.

As to your other problems.

Are you sure you installed the motherboard drivers before anything else?

Also run disk defragmenter. That may speed things up.

Your power supply may also cause this. But its unlikly.

With specs like that you shoulda bought a nicer power supply.

Yeah, I thought Kazaa would be offlimits here.

As for the power supply, I think if that was it .. that it would give me more trouble while playing games when the most power is being used up, right?

If things don't shapen up with a little more work, I'm about ready to completely tear the thing down and rebuild it from scratch. e_e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom