weird sound/video problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyg

Beta member
hey guys,
so recently the sound has started acting very weird from my pc
every so often it starts making this weird static noise that sounds kinda like a spaceship flying around (i've heard this sound before by leaving speakers plugged into my tvs headphone jack after i shut the tv off)
now its gotten worse, for some reason it seems like when i try to play videos in windows media player or any other media player the sound doesn't work at all or it plays sluggishly, slowed down so it sounds weird
and now its gotten even worse, sometimes when i play a video it runs slow or stops until i pause it and play it again

i've never encountered any sorta problem like this
at first i thought maybe my sound cards just starting to break but it doesn't seem like it anymore since videos are running poorly too
this could maybe be a virus but i've scanned and gotten nothing too serious, don't really have many ad-ware/spy-ware problems

i recently installed a new video card and dvd-burner but my sound and video worked fine with them for like 2 months before this new issue started
i've tried reinstalling my sound card drivers

my parts:
windows xp pro with sp2
soyo dragon 2 platinum mother board
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card
ATI x800XT video card

90% sure this is your sound card being faulty. You can try uninstalling the drivers and installing ones that you know work (or reinstall, what ever).
Sound problems can and do cause video problems too, you might try 3d mark 2003 to verify as all the benchmarks bar the last one are with out sound..

is ur video card PCI?
pci slots share irq's so during heavy graphic loads sound might clip or stop

if both audio and video are pci or agp is sharing irq with pci try moving soundcard to different pci slot

i had similar problem with my matrox and aureal both were onboard but there was a setting in the control pannel i cant remember what it was

thanks for the help guys

i fixed the problem it was in fact that the sound card is defective
strange to happen all of a sudden since i've been using it for 2.5years
and i had no idea that a defective sound card could actually cause videos not to run well as well as my pc not even booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom