Weird smell from psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

rp85

Baseband Member
My psu just started smelling a bit like burning everything still works fine, could it just be dust or something?. I was going to open it and have a look but it said "warranty void if removed" so i didnt. I put it together myself but it was months ago now so if i done something wrong shouldnt it have gone wrong before now?

Thanks.

Hello,

:freak: I'd stop using it. A burning smell can't be a healthy sign, since PSUs aren't supposed to smell like burnt. You sure it's coming from your PSU?

Just a story :p...Once I just came home, entered my room, booted up the PC. Moments later I heard this loud pop sound (like a balloon popping). Made me dive backwards cuz I thought something was going to set on fire or send shrapnel at my direction. Subsequently I smelt this rancid burning smell (like burnt hair). Switched all electronics off just in case one of them was the culprit. Smell was coming from my old PSU from within my old PC. Opened the PSU and I realized a capacitor had exploded. Half of it was missing, and a little later I found that it had blown its was out from one of the edges of the PSU and into the case :eek:.

It could be dangerous if you continue using it. A capacitor may be overheating and may be burning up.

You could open the PSU to check to see if any of the components are burnt :umm:, but at the risk of voiding your warranty.

:no: A warning however, if you choose to open up the PSU, you must make sure that you give the capacitors enough time to discharge first, otherwise you could electrocute yourself!

:right: Remove the PSU from the PC, and disconnect all the cable. Leave the PSU for 10 minutes or so, turned off and ensure it is unplugged from the power outlet. After 10 minutes, open up the PSU.

Yea im sure its the psu, it has two fans but only one is on smart power or something and the smell is coming out the back the (end with fan off) and it feels hot at the back aswell. But i think it is always hot at that part. I think im just going to talk to antec and see if they will give me a replacement and if they dont i will open it up.

Im not so sure now because after i turned it off and cleaned it a little its not been smelling as much but it still smells a bit but im not sure if its just normal smell now.

If i was to keep using it could it cause damage to any other parts?

Thanks for the tips on opening it.

WorldIndustries said:
10 minutes? Try 10 hours. Tryin' to kill the poor guy?

LOL

I have sent an email to dabs.com where i bought it. So i can see what they will do, but it looks like they want me to wait six weeks!!!

I leave mine off overnight at minimum. But usually, I'll take the old generic 300W one out of the closet, and use that while I let the PSU I wanna work at sit around for a few days. Only THEN do I feel safe. Those capacitors can hold deadly charges for up to a week.

I would just replace it since they are so cheap rather than take the chance of toasting the system if it blows

Do you believe in Darwinism? Uneducated people that play with charged capacitors are tempting the fates to irradicate them from the shallow end of the gene pool.

*snort*

I agree, just replace it, it's like 25 bucks for 450 W from newegg.com
I don't even try to open them. Just replace 'em.

Story
I had a PSU blow on a machine once. It just started sparking and spewing smoke out the back. Didn't harm the rest of the computer though *whew*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom