:freak: I'd stop using it. A burning smell can't be a healthy sign, since PSUs aren't supposed to smell like burnt. You sure it's coming from your PSU?
Just a story
...Once I just came home, entered my room, booted up the PC. Moments later I heard this loud pop sound (like a balloon popping). Made me dive backwards cuz I thought something was going to set on fire or send shrapnel at my direction. Subsequently I smelt this rancid burning smell (like burnt hair). Switched all electronics off just in case one of them was the culprit. Smell was coming from my old PSU from within my old PC. Opened the PSU and I realized a capacitor had exploded. Half of it was missing, and a little later I found that it had blown its was out from one of the edges of the PSU and into the case
It could be dangerous if you continue using it. A capacitor may be overheating and may be burning up.
You could open the PSU to check to see if any of the components are burnt
, but at the risk of voiding your warranty.
:no: A warning however, if you choose to open up the PSU, you must make sure that you give the capacitors enough time to discharge first, otherwise you could electrocute yourself!
:right: Remove the PSU from the PC, and disconnect all the cable. Leave the PSU for 10 minutes or so, turned off and ensure it is unplugged from the power outlet. After 10 minutes, open up the PSU.