Weird refresh rates and dodgy screen res. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Weird refresh rates and dodgy screen res.

Here's the problem it isn't major so if anybody has any ideas on how to solve this it be great. Also will help your karma!!!

Okay here's the deal, replaced Video card in a compaq system switched nvidia to ati
MSI gf4 ti4200 to a Sapphire 9600xt, did complete removal of video drivers (driverclean and Det RIP to get rid of any remnant Nvidia stuff.)

Installed the video card no problems, but when the resolution is below 1024 by 768 the monitor starts losing it the vertical and horizontal hold lose it, and it becomes interlaced with a noticeable refresh rate slow. This happens on the Boot up of XP, which the screen is split down the middle by a large black edge. THe right side of the screen is on the left handside and vice versa. Now to correct this if i just switch the monitor on and off this is corrected. This only happens when the resolution drops below 1024*768, i have changed everyone of the refresh rates and that just changes the vertical and horizontal hold when it plays up.

The screen is in perfect condition, all i can put it down to is a simple driver prob. But if anybody had any similiar situations and problems occur to them, SHOUT OUT TO ME!!!!

Cheers and thanks for all that lend a hand, champs!!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well first suspect has to be the monitor, Is it a CRT? can you try it with another computer or try another monitor with this computer?

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

no the monitor is all good.... It works with every other computer system tried...

The refreshs and the like seem to happen only on some programs which is just weird.

Thanks for the advice.. Keep it coming
Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808

It could be the video card, try using some other vid card and see what happens.

Closed Thread