Weird Problem with BIOS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk72

Beta member
Recently, my freind tried powering his PC and it would not power up.... after some self diagnose, Irealized that his Power Supply was not producing any power output thus we replaced it and Walla!! it worked.

Now the second part, the BIOS did not detect any HD to boot from when the HD is attached with all cables tight. We did not even mess with the HD cables when replacing the power supply. When I enter the SETUP, all I can see in the drive config was the floppy.

Primary Master - Unidentified Drive
Primary Slave - Unidentified Drive
Secondary Master - Unidentified Drive
Secondary Slave - Unidentified Drive

So, what I did was to put all of these drive config to AUTO and restarted the machine and yeat did not detect my Hdrive but detected the CD-ROM.

Primary Master - CD-ROM
Primary Slave - Unidentified Drive

I checked the power output to the Hard Drive and also heard the drive was spinning on initial startup but still there was no luck. I took the HD out and used to as a External Drive and plugged it into my laptop and it works fine... this was getting very weird..

My next step was swapping the IDE cable to see if there was a problem on the cable... I used the IDE cable from my CD-ROm and attached it to my HD and plugged it into the MOBO and yet no success, so the cable was not the issue. I also swapped the the cable on both the IDE slot in the MOBO ... the HD is not detected but when I did the same for the CD-ROM, it was detected.

My following step was to remove the CD-ROM and just have the HD connect to the IDE slot and yet no luck..

Finally, out of the blues I decided to connect the Hard Drive as a slave to the CD-ROM (* The jumper on both CD-ROM and HD was Cable Select) The BIOS detected it

Primary Master - CD-ROM
Primary Slave - Hard Drive

But still it was not able to boot to XP directly until or unless I press F1 because it says

"Secondary Master Drive is missing"
"Press F1 to continue"
"Press F2 to enter setup"

When I pressed F1, it started loading Windows... this is very weird.. I had the Boot Seq setup to choose the HD first...

Any ideas on whats happening here... is the Hraddrive gone bad.. which is impossible.. cause I tried a a different HD on the MOBO and it was the same result...

Could it be the IDE slot in the MOBO?? BIOS Needs reflashing???

Any Ideas would be highly appreciated..

This is DELL Machine with P4

typical setups place the hard drive as primary master and a cdrom on the secondary slave.

putting them on different ide channels will increase io performance as well.

But I have tried to place the HardDrive on Primary Master and plugged the IDE cable on the BLUE IDE slot on the MOBO but still there is no luck... it is not detecting the HD. Alsochanged the jumper from CS to MA... still no luck. This setup was without the CD-ROM.. any ideas???

I had a similar problem a long time ago, but I can't remember for the life of me what I did to fix it... most likely the easiest fix is replacing the mobo... but if that is a serious issue, then I would try a slow and painstaking series of tests on HDD integrity by using them in other systems, verifying cable functionality, basically using 1 part at a time in another system trying each piece out... eventually you will know if it is the cables, the drives, or the mobo, once you determine that I think someone can help you more it is too broad of a possiblity right now

Thanks Jefe

I understand it is a broad problem .... it is similar to my car is not starting... what could be the problem :( ... I wish I had another system where I can tests this.. got to hook up with my other friend to see if he will allow me to use his system to check this Hdrive... Anyways thanks everyone and I will surely posts if I happen to find the solutions for this problem...

P/s -- I am still open to any ideas or possibility of this issue till...

Adios :eek:

Johnny...

I pasted this from my initial post...

"I checked the power output to the Hard Drive and also heard the drive was spinning on initial startup but still there was no luck. I took the HD out and used to as a External Drive and plugged it into my laptop and it works fine... this was getting very weird.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom