Weird No video issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Weird No video issue

So i ran into this really weird issue with no video working on a custom built Desktop PC. I had the PC sitting on a seat and i added in a new HDD for more space and another stick of ram. Then i was going to boot it up to install some antivirus so i powered in on just fine but it didnt show any video. so i first thought that it was a faulty monitor so i tried multiple monitors, none worked. also tried different cables. none worked. in addition i also tried removing new stick of ram, unplugging new HDD, reseated the video card, different DVI to VGA adapters, also tried swithing the video card with a know good video card, no luck. and i made sure that the PCI-express 6 pin was plugged into the video card.

The unit had a 400W power supply so i dont think adding one stick of ram and a new HDD would of sucked out the power and fried anything.

Is it some how possible that the PCI-Express controller got fried or shorted?

I have seriously tried all the different things i know. Any kind of input would be muchly appreciated.

Like i said... the computer boots fine but theirs just no video.

OH and the motherboard doesnt have any onboard video

Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Weird No video issue

Unplug the computer, take out the battery from the mobo.
Press the power button a few times, put the battery back in and plug the pc back in.
Try booting.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread