Weird Monitor Behavior - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Arrow Weird Monitor Behavior

OK guys and gals maby you can figure this out. At my job i am responsible for tending to any problems that may arise in the office with the computers. Well just recently i had an employee complain to me that her computer wouldnt boot. so i took it to my work station and hooked it up to my monitor, keyboard ect. and it booted fine for me so i went ahead and did some basic cleanups (defrag,disk check, disk clean up). After which i brought the employee her computer back. When i booted the pc the dell splash screen showed and loaded but after that nothing but a black screen. I first suspected that something attached to the pc was causeing the issue. 1 by 1 i unhooked ueverything until i was down to the monitor and power cord. I tried a different power cord that was known to be good but same resuilt. I then brought my test monitor to her station and tried that and bingo windows loaded. Below are the resuilts of a test i did with the two monitors maby and hopefully you guys can tell me whats causeing it.

Computer: Dell Poweredge 1400sc

Windows XP Professional SP3

Monitor Compaq Q1859 (this monitor was recently bought within the last 45 days for this pc, worked fine until 2 weeks ago)

Monitor 2 (Test Monitor) Acer AL1716A LCD Monitor

Symptoms: When monitor 1 is hooked up Splash screen is shown and loading bar shows system loading.

After splash screen disappears user is left with a black screen followed by two short beeps after several seconds.

When system is rebooted with monitor 2 splash screen shows up as usual. After splash screen shows up and goes away The Post test results screen is shown. ( This is what should show and is known to show after the dell splash screen)

It indicates that a system fan 2 hasnít been found
Another error presents
Then user is prompted to hit f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup.

Striking f1 will start windows loading.

A second boot was done with monitor 1 and as expected screen after splash screen was black so (without rebooting) monitor 1 was unhooked and monitor 2 was hooked up at which point post test results screen displayed. Monitor 2 was then unhooked and monitor 1 was hooked up and it displayed the results as well.

System was rebooted with monitor 1 hooked up. After splash screen the black screen appeared. After the two beeps were heard I pressed f1 and waited and after several seconds the windows xp splash screen appeared and windows loaded normally.
Closed Thread