weird moiuse and sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmckay2

Beta member
hey all, hopefully someone can help me. also, before anything else realize i am a complete computer noob so if you have ideas make sure you spell them out for me. anyway, i have a dell desktop, its about five years old. still runs fine. the other day i turned it on and the sound didn't work. i didn't think much of it, so i restarted. then the mouse didn't work. now thats a bit more of a problem. so i kinda looked around some tried a few minor things then restarted. then the keyboard didn't work! luckily after enough messing around i did get into the dell maintenance startup menu and fixed the keyboard. but still the sound and mouse won't work. ive tried three different mice, two usb, one ps/2 in my laptop and they all worked. i went into control panel, mouse, hardware but when i get there there is not even a mouse listed to troubleshoot or check properties. the cursor still shows, it just sits in the middle. i did run adaware and avg and found a few trojans, deleted them, restarted but still didn't work. anyone got an idea?

being that it is five years old... has the OS ever been formatted?

If not , then I suggest you back up everything you can , then do a complete format and reinstall. it will run better then it has in a long time I am sure.

doesnt hurt to reinstall every year or so. gets rid of bit rot and software corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom