Weird HDD sound. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Dr.Gootch Send a message via MSN to Dr.Gootch
Default Weird HDD sound.

Hello, Uhm when i leave my PC idle and it sits for about 10 mins, after that my HDD makes noise like its Defragging.. DOes it everysingle time i leave it idle. It goes away after 30mins or so, or if i bring it out of idle like moving the mouse.. Wtf is it doing or wut can it be??

Rebuilding in progress... Pending Specs....

Yours Truly,
Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Disable your antivirus and see if it still happens. If you are using Avast, disable VRDB.

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

What your hard drive is doing is reading, ususally most computers do not read off their hard drives unless a program is running requiring information that is not in memory. If your computer is idle and not running any programs like auto defrag or scans of any variation it could be spyware or virii doing their dirty work. But also it could be one of your programs doing one of its tasks its supposed to do. I would run your computer through spyware and virus scans and if that doesnt fix the problem boot up in safe mode. This ensures that no other programs are running in background. If it still does it its possible it could be a hardware problem like the drive heating up and changing shape and ratting or something odd and obscure like that.
Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

I'd also check to see if the indexing service is active on your hard drive(s). Indexing service explained here:

There's three ways of doing this:

1. Through drive properties in My Computer

In the case, simply go to My Computer > Right click and go to Properties of the particular Hard Drive > Ensure Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching is unchecked.

Do this for all Hard Drives you have on your PC.

2. Uninstalling it in Add / Remove Windows Components

You can uninstall the Indexing Service by going to Add or Remove Programs in control panel, and by clicking on the Add / Remove Windows Components button on the left. Uncheck the Indexing Service and click Next to begin removal.

3. Through the Services Administrative Tools in the Control Panel (if applicable)

If you have the Administrative Tools installed on your system, you can follow the steps outlined here:

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

also, you could try posting a hijackthis log in the forum
Closed Thread