weird hd or psu power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeewiff

Beta member
Psu: 400W unbranded to my knowledge but voltages pretty much match the quoted ones
mb: MSI 865xxx 865PE Neo2 ver1.30
cpu: p4 2.8 ghz HT
ram:512 pc3200 single dimm
graphics: 256mb winfast geforce5600
4 WD HDs (2 pata , 2 sata)
no floppy
Liteon CDWR
Pioneer DVDrom
in following config:
Boot (Master -PATA) & HD4(Slave - PATA) IDE1
DVDRom (master) & CDRW (slave) IDE2
HD2 SATA1- primary chnnel
HD3 SATA2-2ndary channel
SB Audigy 2
WLan Pci card
Win Xp Sp2 Pro

problem: with all connected pc powers up and powers down in a second from pressing power button, and to power up again u need to disconnect power to PSU and reconnect it.
If Boot drive and HD2 are disconnected pc boots goes thru post and stops there since it cannot continue to boot but it runs normally, fans etc
the only way i managed to boot the pc so far is to let it run as above for like 30mins then connect the other 2 HDs, power up while holding reset, keep it like that for a minute or 2 then release the reset button and it will boot and run normally for hours.
the 'faulty' HDs were tested on other machines and work properly which leaves us with.....psu problem or???????

Note: The problem used to occur only with boot drive but after disconnecting HD2 and taking it away to my other pc and now bringing it back it acts as above and unfortunatelly the pc shuts down overnite without any presets by me which didnt b4 cos i would just boot it and let it go for days to avoid the problem....
lengthy but hopefully some1 will help thx

in my experiences w/ these sort of problems i dont see the cpu being faulty usually you wont even make it to post w/ a bad cpu i had similar problems w/ a computer i built and i would suggest a larger power supply like 550

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom