weird hard drive/ OS problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default weird hard drive/ OS problem

I just recently built a new computer and I got a Seagate Barracuda 250GB hd (SATA) and I installed windows vista, and everything was running perfectly until i realized it wouldn't recognize my network cards, and i couldn't find drivers. So i decided to format the drive nd put on xp pro, and during the installation it rebooted the computer nd it wouldn't go past the bios screen. after some frustration i finally decided to unplug the hard drive nd try the computer, and it went past the screen so i figured the drive was screwed up. i sent it back to newegg, and they gave me a new one. so yesterday i tried to install xp pro without the whole vista thing, and same thing happened again. now the drive is screwed, i don't know whether it's the hard drive or the installation, and i don't know what to do =\ any help will be appreciated.. thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: weird hard drive/ OS problem

What is your motherboard brand/model and the hard drive SATAI or SATAII?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: weird hard drive/ OS problem

The same thing happened to me, tried installing xp pro and seemingly got my hdd fried. The problem turned out to be my cd drive?!!! it was kinda an old thing, so i replaced it with a 52x24x52 cd RW and everything worked fine! i dunno, maybe your having the same problem.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread