Weird GPU Artifacting

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I've been having weird artifacting for my GPU. First it started off once a week (about 2 weeks ago) now it's been happening almost everyday. Yesterday was the worst I got it up to that point. I couldn't do anything without it being artifacted (even in safe mode and bios it happens). What I did was did a clean install of new gpu drivers and that seemed to work. Today I was just in my control panel and it happened again. When it happens and I'm doing something, the PC locks up and I have to hold the start button for it to shutdown. Now no matter what I do it happens and won't boot properly at all (I had to change to on-board video just so I could get into safemode with networking to write this). I know it's not overheating (idle temps around 55-65*C). I know the drivers are up to date since I installed new ones yesterday (ran driver cleaner pro before installing the new ones), and today I took the GPU out and made sure nothing was obstructing it in the slot. Nothing was, so I hooked it back up making sure everything was snug and it still happened. Except this time I got a stop error, here is what it was (I had to write it down while the screen was artifacted, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was, but if it's off a little thats the reason why):
Code:
***STOP 0x00000116 (0x88DCC008,0x9080D4E0,0x00000000,0x00000002)
***nvlddmkm.sys Address 9080D4E0 base at 90801000, Datestamp 4s2fc069
Here is a photo of what the artifacting looks like (it looks the same every time).
1000329.jpg

Is my GPU totally gone? Or is it something that I'm doing wrong? This system (including the GPU) is only a little over a year old (view my signature). I'm just getting really discouraged now :(.

Try downclocking the card.

If its happening in the BIOS and Safe Mode, though, then I'd say the card is failing as its obviously not a driver problem then. I'd send it in for warranty.

I didn't overclock it myself, that's the factory overclock. I'll have to see what the warranty on it was, I'm pretty sure it's still good.

Just because you didn't OC the card yourself doesn't mean you can't downclock it ;). Use RivaTuner and see if that helps, but I'm still gonna say the card is starting to go out on you if its doing it in BIOS.

Yeah that's true. I'll download RivaTuner and see what it's at, then post the current settings here. I have no experience with overclocking so I don't know what I should change and how much.

But will I be able to actually do this if I am using onboard graphics right now?

Oops, missed the part about you being on integrated. No, you won't be able to change it if you're on integrated (or safe mode for that matter I believe). Check out what BFG's warranty is, and if your card is still under warranty.

Just checked the box it came in and it says 24/7 tech support and Lifetime Warranty (10 year if purchases outside of North America, which it was not). Would I just call up BFG and tell them the situation? I've never dealt with having to return PC parts before (my parents would be able to help me with this part).

Can probably do it either via phone or all online; most likely will be all online. Just go to BFG's website, go to the support section, and see if there is a Warranty or RMA section.

BFG Tech - Warranty When they mean registering it, does that mean I should have went to the BFG site when I first got this computer and register the card, or is it registered in the system when it's made? I never went to the site when I bought the PC, and it has been over a year since this PC was bought.

Since I got the computer from Best Buy, will the warranty from there cover this? Or will it not since it was not in the stock computer and purchased separately? They did install it though, so will that have an affect on the warranty?

They won't cover it since it's not a stock part.

And yes, you should have registered it when you bought it. How long over a year has it been? If its not that long, you might be able to call them up and see if you can get a bit of a grace period and still have them take it under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom