Weird computer problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Weird computer problem

Hello guys,

For over a year i've got a really weird computer hardware/software problem. The reason why i don't know if it is a hardware or a software problem is because neither I or my computer technician know(s) what the problem is.

Problems
A year ago, my computer shut down for the first time, after the shutdown it restarted itself with a weird constant beeping noise. I ignored it and forced a shutdown with the powerbutton. I kept using my pc for over 1-2 months, what was really annoying because i got like 20 bleuscreens a day, but i had to, because i was in my examperiod and needed my desktop. After my exams i went to my local computer repairsman and he concluded my hard drive was the problem. So i bought a new one and everything was fine.

But now it is a year later and i got the same problem as then, but when i bring my pc to my repairsman, he says that there is nothing wrong with it. I told him what the problem was with it, but it never shut down with him. But when i plugged it back in at my place, the desktop kept doing the same things as before.

What I tried to do
-Went to repairsman
-exchanged every, litteraly every, device that was plugged in to my pc
-plugged my pc in another plug

My desktop
Windows 7
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 770 2GB
3.4 GhZ
Superb 6620 500W-620W powersupply
Intel Core i7 processor

I didn't build my desktop myself, i bought one in one piece. But i replaced the graphics card, and the powersupply. The power supply is good enough for my graphics card, so the problem could not be here. (According to my repairsman).

Extra's
My pc is mainly used for playing games. But he also shuts down when i use facebook or youtube or ...
He doesn't shut down more when i play games than when i am on the internet.
After about 20-30 shutdowns a day, i can use my desktop normally untill i wake up the other day. Then the shutdowns begin from the beginning, like the other day.

Thank you for taking the time to read my problem, i hope you can do something about it!

Dudeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default Re: Weird computer problem

So, are you getting more BSODs now? The error codes from those will help identify the problem. Need a bit more information on what you mean by "shutting down." If the power is just going out and it completely turns off, then it's different from a BSOD (blue screen of death).

Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It could be a number of things right down to a bad power cord, Did you yse a duifferent cord when you went to the shop, I've done a few repairs where some one brings it to me and it works perfectly then they bring it home and instantly have the issue, So I usually give them a $3 power cord since there paying me just to look at it and it has fixed there issues. Another thing is it could be the power it self, Depending on your area and how old the wires are you could have whats called dirty power and the voltage isnt as constant as it should be. But that is a issue with the electric company. If it's not the power cord try bringing it to a friends house and run it for a while and if there is no issue there then that might be the issue.

Dauntae

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I get about the same amount of BSOD's as before. But i don't get them everytime when my pc shuts down. I never really wrote down the bluescreens, so i can't give you codes right now, but i just downloaded bluescreenviewer, so tomorrow i could give you some codes, cause i expect a lot BSOD's.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
It could be a number of things right down to a bad power cord, Did you yse a duifferent cord when you went to the shop, I've done a few repairs where some one brings it to me and it works perfectly then they bring it home and instantly have the issue, So I usually give them a $3 power cord since there paying me just to look at it and it has fixed there issues. Another thing is it could be the power it self, Depending on your area and how old the wires are you could have whats called dirty power and the voltage isnt as constant as it should be. But that is a issue with the electric company. If it's not the power cord try bringing it to a friends house and run it for a while and if there is no issue there then that might be the issue.

Dauntae
I already tried 3 power cords from all the pc's i could find in my house. But i'm definetely going to try to set my pc up in a friends house. And about the dirty power, we have a lot of pc's and desktops in this house, shouldn't it affect all of the pc's or am i wrong with that?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

What brand/model is your PSU?

As for the BSoD's...just upload the dump files from C:\Windows\Minidump. Zip them up and upload 'em here. I use WinDbg to view Bluescreen dump info, and it's a MUCH more advanced tool than BlueScreenView (but also hard to use...not saying BlueScreenView is bad, it just gives basic info).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
What brand/model is your PSU?

As for the BSoD's...just upload the dump files from C:\Windows\Minidump. Zip them up and upload 'em here. I use WinDbg to view Bluescreen dump info, and it's a MUCH more advanced tool than BlueScreenView (but also hard to use...not saying BlueScreenView is bad, it just gives basic info).
Hmm, when i go to my minidump, it says that the map is empty...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

If your minidump directory is empty, then BlueScreenView won't be of any help either. Dump files will only generate if you let the BSOD generate the dump file.

At least write down any STOP codes / parameters. I'd suggest disabling "automatic restart on system failure" in System -> Advanced Settings -> Startup & Recovery

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
If your minidump directory is empty, then BlueScreenView won't be of any help either. Dump files will only generate if you let the BSOD generate the dump file.

At least write down any STOP codes / parameters. I'd suggest disabling "automatic restart on system failure" in System -> Advanced Settings -> Startup & Recovery
+1 to disabling automatic restart. If it's getting the BSODs, we'll need those to help. Also, make sure that you don't have something like CCleaner that is wiping those dump files out.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Little update:
Since you guys asked me to write down my BSOD's, my computer didn't crash again. It is like it knows! As soon as i get another BSOD i let you all know.