WD red slow or not detected after power outage

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I have a 3gb internal WD red that became slow and unresponsive after power outage
and sometimes its not even detected by windows

it doesn't make any noises and smart WD scan shows healthy

but when I try to access it it will freeze the my computer explorer while trying to access it

error check freezes while cheking for errors
sometimes it shows up sometimes It doesnt

sometimes the folders load fast sometimes they load half way and other half takes forever to load.
accessing files is very long as well

what can be the issue ?

If you want to recover files, and it freezes up in Windows - boot off of a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu or something - I've had much less issue recovering files while in Linux vs Windows from a dying drive.

damn. its my backup drive. almost 1TB of files on it. that are almost inaccessible

I tried using the easeUS partition manager surface scan but after 24 hours it completed 0.13% and found 1745 bad sectors out of the first 7416832
im assuming the damage is at the beginning of the plates that's why its not reading that good

im running chkdisk now to see if maybe it will do it faster. and make it good enough to copy files at least

i think im gonna switch to usp for backup since it shouldn't suffer from a power loss same way as internal drives do

Just do what I suggested instead of doing a chkdsk or any recovery right now. Linux is pretty forgiving and will let you access/copy any of the files that aren't affected by the bad sectors. It lets you work around them. You'll just have to copy small chunks of files so you can avoid the corrupted areas. I've done it with 2 of my own drives - takes some time, but I was able to recover like 90%+ of my data off of the drives.

You can download a live disk for free and toss it on a flash drive to boot into. The more you mess with scanning tools the more damaged the drive will become.

On another note, If you can access this drive with linux, have a usb or another external drive on hand to back your data up to. You can not use the failing drive for anything else but getting your data from it

Back
Top Bottom