WD Mybook 500gb SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

madking153

In Runtime
recently bought a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 500 GB and partitioned it into 3 drives: 200gb , 2x150GB

I dont know why the harddisk kind of slow.when i explored the drive especially first drive (full of media files. (~200GB).), it takes few seconds then only show the list of files.. I never happen to my maxter exter HD.

SO is it because the HD drive is full of media files, the listing will takes longer time?

Is it connected by usb, firewire, or eSata? Most likely usb since we both have the same model. For usb the access time is slower. Firewire doesn't do much better either.

Having a mountain of files at the root of any partition without separate folders will take a few seconds longer to see displayed. Since I store large amounts of different file types here including updates for two versions of Windows and Linux files it can take a little longer even on an internal drive to open a folder up and see the volumes of files.

Yeah if you've got a ton of files in a single directory that would sound about right. Plus access times will be a bit slower because it's a usb drive. You might try a defrag to help that out. You could also benchmark it using Disk Checker or Sandra to make sure it's working properly.

If it was toast you wouldn't have any access to it. That's one thing those that have dropped them on the floor have reported! :eek:

I would have gone with an eSata type external or ordered an external holder since the 900 case here has an eSata port already on the top. But when you walk by a good price while in a retail store... My Book Essential sitting right there on the shelf... you know how that one goes. :p

Im saving up for an external currently because of the amount of torrenting I do.
Im getting a USB though , good enough for me and most my friends and family dont have eSATA only i do... USB is fast enough.

Mostly they are simply for storage and the occasional backup not for OSing and gaming purposes where some install games and programs to a second drive. When going to reorganize your case seeing one OS installed to drive and later moved to another plus repartitioning, reformatting, etc. you don't have to worry about where to store files since they are stored externally.

The one thing to note is that most come with a Fat32 type partition for both Windows and Mac compatibility with an auto run file and installer. Once reformatted to NTFS 2000, XP, Vista simply needs to redetect the drive if Windows is reinstalled and you recopied the software files back onto the drive.

The support sites for Seagate, WD, and others provide zip files for each model series that you simply unpack onto the drive. By simply waiting until the desktop loads for a clean install of Windows and plugging the usb cord in you often see the autoplay searching while the drive is quickly seen in the MyComputer.

This is after the reformat to NTFS seen there however on the XP desktop. But that would be seen in Vista as well.

If you are referring to the screen shot the image was captured by free habd tracing around the explorer window and autoplay popup seen there then enlarged slightly during a recapture while viewing the original. That was simply done to fit both items into one image without everything else on the desktop namely shortcuts added in along with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom