WD 80GB External - Hardware Not Found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landis

Solid State Member
Hey, I have an 80GB Western Digital External HDD. It's always worked great in the past. I just installed Vista Home Premium 64 on my PC and now on and off my external won't be recognized. The Hardware Not Found comes up. I tried it on a differant laptop and PC, both XP, and the same thing came up. I use my external for watching videos on my Xbox 360 a lot and that's always worked fine. It also does not show up for that. If I try switching my external between my 360, the laptop and my PC, it sometimes shows up. But when I go back and try a differant computer, it won't show up again...
I tried formatting it with the format utility WD provides, the FAT32 Formatter. It started to work consitantly, a few hours. Then when I tried to copy something to it, there was an error. After that, I was back at the same problem as before. Hardware Not Found. Nothing recognizing my external. I searched around for this similar problem and havn't had any look. Any isight/advice?

Landis

I actually got it working thanks to some troubleshooting by my friend. It was the usb cable. I read that it only works with the provided cable but turns out that's not true. And it has been consistantly working. I figured i'd post my solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom