WD 1TB Dropped, however kinda works? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry WD 1TB Dropped, however kinda works?

Well, today it fell literally 60 cm, bounced quite hard, i thought ohhhh no plugged it it, everything crashed, i couldn't accesses it, i pulled out the power, put it back in and bam it worked, all is fine, thought i dodged the bullet .. UNTIL

About an hour and half after, i was afk, on my ps3 (pc behind me) and i heard a USB Ejection noise, as if someone pulled it out.. i thought hmmm, however my music stopped playing (Music synced to iTunes from my HDD), i looked at it unmounted itself from My Computer.

I looked and the light was blue as ever, blinking at a steady pace, not fast not slow, however always the same blinks.

I tried putting it in again and again, nothing. I plugged it into my TV (i watch films from it) tv after 10mins found it, i clicked to ENTER the HDD, and it came up "No videos found" - so i take it its corrupted?

I plugged it into my PC once again left it, after a while the light was solid.. like normal, i heard the noise to say its mounted, i looked in device manager it says its there.. bottom right came up "installing..." then "ready to use" all the ticks etc... however

No auto play, and nothing mounted. I can't access it... nothing...

So ive took it apart (well the casing) making sure everything is pushed in tight as there is no "Scratch" noises or "RRRRRRRRR" competitive noise, its just NORMAL!

tried a different USB port also just encase, tried it on another PC to be safe, same response.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: WD 1TB Dropped, however kinda works?

Sounds like the drive is corrupt or damaged. At this point you can try to format is and reuse it but it may just crash again.

-Vista SME
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl

I'd just backup the data ASAP at this point.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine we placed it into another External HDD shell and was able to recover the data. Also you can try and adapter like a SATA to USB or IDE to USB adapter depending on the type of HDD.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

He has an adapter, mate.
Neowin.net Steam Account
Closed Thread