wat could this be - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to jrdwstfll
Default wat could this be

hey what do u think is wrong with my computer?

i load it up. no windows is on it... trying to boot from a linux cd.. and it freezes at the first screen. where it says ABIT and hit del to do that and tab to do this..

what could be wrong... my hard drive just went.. so i have no clue whats going on wit my comp.. the mobo and processor are only a year old

plmk

Jared

Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to King X13

Does it POST ? can you get into the bios? take out the ram and start it up and see if you get beep codes if you dont then it mite be a cpu/mobo problem. if you get beep codes then try putting in 1 stick and/or in a different slot.

Your hard drive went so im assuming you got a new one? or are you trying to run linx off the cd with out a hard drive?

Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

yea i had 2 drives... one had windows, one didn't
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

normally if its a hard drive problem you get a message saying disk read error or something along those lines.

Go into the BIOS if possible and check the system health monitor and see your temps and fan speed make sure there alright.

Check the boot order in your BIOS make sure your windows hard drive is loading first or change the boot order to cd-rom as first boot device and put the xp cd in and see if it`ll load up and detect windows.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

i took the hard drive out that had windows on it.. i tried reformatting it
and it didnt work

now i try to restart it.. and it wont restart.. the cd drives become unresponsive and won't open and the computer does not read them
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well do what i mentioned above too? check the temps if possible. Then try what King X13 said you will have to start taking your comp apart to diagnose the problem. First thing I would do is reset the CMOS, either take out the battery on the motherboard for 40 seconds with no power on. Or unplug the power cord from the back of your pc for 40 seconds then put it back in.

If it was me and those steps didn't work I would unplug the cd drives, hard drives and try booting. If it still freezes I would remove 1 stick of ram and try again then exchange sticks and DIMM slots etc.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

ok... yea.. with no sticks in i get beeps.. so that means my mobo is good right????

and what are considered good temps?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

lol its beeping to say "put some freaking ram in me" so make sure 1 stick is at least in.

And depends on your processor Id say 30C-50C is acceptable if its a P4 then even 60-70C.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

i went into temps.. temps seem fine.. i gtg to work soon.. ill be back at this when i get back.. anyone wanna leave me their sn so they can help me through the steps???
that would be awesome

my sn is jwest529
Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

hey im back and what to get at this thing.. if ne one can help out that would be sick