Warning error 0251:System cmos checksum bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

velocidallas

Banned
I got a eMachines T1220 desktop PC last week from Goodwill and since then I have been have this weird error message and I thought it was the bios battery but even I replaced it it still appeared. I also have contacted eMachines for the lastest bios updates and they said there isn't any updates. Is there a way I can reinstall the bios? Or am I having a different problem?

After I press F2 everything works perfectly fine and Windows runs normaly.

Thank You

I also noticed that this only happens when I leave the PC off for a while and turn it back on or if I unplug the power cord few a min and then plug it back in and turn it on.

This is quite old, so all the BIOS updates are probably gone.

Is the battery in securely? Some of those older systems, batteries can not replaced, IMO.

Try resetting BIOS to the defaults at least.

Yes the battery is placed right and I have already tried to set all settings to default on the bios but still this happens.

I really hope that you guys could help me find a way to fix this since everything is working but just that bios error comes up. I would really appreciate it if you guys could find a way so I can fix this.

Thank You

I think there is a problem with your motherboard. Does the cmos chip look ok at all? should be right around the battery, big chip.

Are you talking about the part where it hold the battery since it seems to hold the battery fine. But it's really strange that the motherboard is messed up since if it was won't I also have trouble loading Windows and using it? I did talk to some tech guys on the phone and they said that if you can load windows perfectly then it's not the motherboard but I don't know if this is true. I mean I have no problem going into bios setup and after pressing F2.

It seems like after a few min having the PC off it resets the bios settings to default settings meaning it's acting like the battery is bad and won't save the settings. Is it possible that I use the wrong kind of battery? I used the CR3032 3v battery.

Please use the edit button instead of double posting. This sounds a lot like a bad battery but since you have already tried replacing it the only thing left to do is make sure the battery is in correctly and is the same as the old one then clear the CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom