W8 doesnt start - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default W8 doesnt start

Edit: its w8.1 btw

I dont know if this is the correct zone for posting this but here goes:

Today i updated my w8.1 from the windows updater but after restarting the pc , the screen became black....

My computer doesnt have a cd/pen it has the widowns inside a "secret disk" something like that....

How can i acess that repair tools?

f8 ,shift + f8 ,alt f8... nothing works... any tips?

only del works for acess bios....

(im portuguese soo if you dont understand something just tell me )

php36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: W8 doesnt start

Quote:
Originally Posted by php36 View Post

Today i updated my w8.1 from the windows updater but after restarting the pc , the screen became black....

My computer doesnt have a cd/pen it has the widowns inside a "secret disk" something like that....

Restart your machine and hold the shift key and hit the f8 button while windows is posting up to the welcome screen of W8.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by php36 View Post

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode yet to see if it still works there? If it does, then you can try removing the update(s) that caused the error.

After your BIOS splash screen, and before Windows attempts to load, start Pressing F8 until the Advanced boot menu comes up. Then you can select Safe Mode from the recovery options.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

After it boots, do you see the Metro screen, and the screen goes black if you click to go to desktop?

I had a similar issue when I upgraded to 8.1. The problem is that Windows 8 doesn't have F8 enabled by default; you have to manually enable it. Of course, I didn't find this out until I actually needed it. What I did was cut off the power during boot up - yeah, I know - and that prompted the advanced boot options when I powered back on. I think the safe mode option is under UEFI Firmware Settings, but google it to make sure.

Once I was in safe mode, I re-installed my display drivers and that fixed it. I also made sure to enable F8 with this command in an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
DistraughtSysop is offline   Reply With Quote