Virtual Memory?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Virtual Memory??

Ok, so I was on my computer and i say a message telling me my Virtual Memory was low, so then I searched it on google and what not to try and figure it out. I saw some stuff and I read some stuff that made me think that my computer is in bad shape. Look at this and tell me is anything is abnormal.

Edit: I was told this might be relevant to my computer being slow and having low virtual memory

Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Virtual Memory??

the processor clock is bearable but man grab some ram

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Kubel

Yeah, your processor is fine. But you really really need more RAM (aim for 1GB). Until you get more, change your Virtual Memory settings to "System Managed". Fixing it at one size (in yours, it's min 305MB, max 305MB) is a trick that reduces disk thrashing (since Windows isn't constantly changing the size of the page file), but it doesn't help performance one bit (in fact, it can hurt it, especially when your pagefile is filled up).

But definitely look into getting more RAM. You will be surprised how fast that Sempron system will scream with the right amount of memory.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
~Romans 1:16
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

yeah for xp you want to try to have closer to 512 mb ram if you can

it helps a lot!
Closed Thread