Videocard or PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertix

Beta member
Hey, my computer won't turn on at all when I have my geforce 8800gts in, but it will turn on with a different weaker card (8400 gs). I got a 500watts psu, and I was wondering if my vcard was faulty, or my psu doesn't have enough power for the card?

Thanks.

Welcome to Tech-Forums, Vertix!

A 500W PSU should be able to power an 8800GTS. Depends on what kind of 500W PSU. Got anymore specs on it?

And remember to plug in the PCI-E power cable for the 8800GTS, because if you forget to plug that in, it won't turn on.

Have you tried the 8800GTS on any other computer as well? To see if the problem is with the graphic card?

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome.

And yeah, I connected the pcie power cable into the 8800gts. I don't really have a computer to test with. The mobo and the CPU are brand new since, my last ones broke down last week, everything is still the same. If the pcie power cable is faulty, or if the cable wouldn't be plugged in at all, wouldn't the computer still turn on? Since that cable is just for VGA no? I just find it odd that it doesn't turn on at all when i plug in the 8800gts.

Well, here's the complete list of my specs:

PSU: Thermaltake 500Watts.
Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
CPU: Pentium E6300
GPU: 8800 GTS/ 8400 GS
RAM: Some corsair DDR2 2Gigs.

When you say it doesn't turn on at all, does that mean everything? Like no lights, no fans spinning?

That PSU is sufficient for the GPU though.

Now my guess is that the the GPU is faulty, because it works fine with another graphic card. Could be a faulty PCI-e power cable as well.

Yeah the computer doesn't turn on at all (No fans spinning, no lights, nothing, it's completely off). I'll play around it with it more i guess. Thanks for the help b1gapl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom